Do I need a range hood?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chris

I've been doing some work in my kitchen and will be adding an island at some point and am wondering if I put a stove in the island is there any requirement for a range hood? The hood above my stove now is not vented through the ceiling and only pushed the air back into the kitchen if I ever turn it on. Just curious if there is any sort of code for it?

A gas range may require one, then it is code required after that if you install one there are codes for that. But in California??????????

I've been doing some work in my kitchen and will be adding an island at some point and am wondering if I put a stove in the island is there any requirement for a range hood?

The hood above my stove now is not vented through the ceiling and only pushed the air back into the kitchen if I ever turn it on. Just curious if there is any sort of code for it?

I imagine if one does not open fry foods on the range that there would be a need for an outside exhaust.

But I would ask the local AHJ if one was required to comply with code and a possible future insurance adjuster.

I've been doing some work in my kitchen and will be adding an island at some point and am wondering if I put a stove in the island is there any requirement for a range hood? The hood above my stove now is not vented through the ceiling and only pushed the air back into the kitchen if I ever turn it on. Just curious if there is any sort of code for it?

All products of combustion are required to be vented, in the truly left coast nanny state.

The venting appliance should be sized at the recommendation of the cooking appliance mfg.

Define vented? I only ask because 90% of places have range hoods that only circulate and push the air back into the room. There is no vent on my stove currently or my last few houses. Just a range hood that circulates.

Well, ask yourself if the recirc. range hood did a good job. And whether at some point (like making french toast...or burning toast for that matter) that you wished you had a real vent. If the answer is yes, this would be the best time to add one, despite if code requires it.

Define vented? I only ask because 90% of places have range hoods that only circulate and push the air back into the room. There is no vent on my stove currently or my last few houses. Just a range hood that circulates.

Correct, and thats the way they are designed. The filter membrane in these recirculating venting appliances will reduce harmful products of combustion to a safe level as well as distribute them over a broader area instead of concentrating them in a confined area.

That's why I always recommend that the venting appliance be based upon the cooking appliance mfg.

Would you really install a recirc. or a combo micro/vent over an 80K BTU HOBB?

The membranes are also removable for cleaning, (anybody remember that part of the instructions).:hide:

The membranes are also removable for cleaning, (anybody remember that part of the instructions).:hide:

Oops. Thanks for the reminder. The great part is you simply remove them and place them in the dishwasher for cleaning. I have yet to do this at my new house. For this reason, I'm headed over right now to place them into the dishwasher!:beer::clap::trophy:

All products of combustion are required to be vented, in the truly left coast nanny state.

The venting appliance should be sized at the recommendation of the cooking appliance mfg.

Would there be a difference if the range is gas or electric? Electric does not have a combustible source, but depending on the level of frying (or broiling) may have cooking fumes which need to be either treated or exhausted.

Usually on an over the range microwave, the choice is given to either recirculate or outside exhaust. There will usually be a grease separator (wire grid filter) and a charcoal filter to reduce the toxicity of the fumes if only recirculating.

If the remodel is a complete tear out, I would think now would be the time to add an outside vent.

Would there be a difference if the range is gas or electric? Electric does not have a combustible source, but depending on the level of frying (or broiling) may have cooking fumes which need to be either treated or exhausted.

With electric, it's a value choice, IE., how comfortable are you with broadcasting to the general public, your culinary skills, or lack there-of.

I'm pretty sure that the vent is intended for exhausting cooking fumes, so it shouldn't matter much if it is gas or electric. The vent isn't going to save you from a gas leak.

The vent is all about the moisture cooking adds to the house, and some gas stoves have it in the installation instructions, then it is code required.

I can honestly say I have never even turned on my vent on my range hood.

Burning gas creats moisture on a good day on a but it is taking oxigen to do that, any impurities in the gas and it's anybodies guess what you are getting.
The more moisture in the air the harder the Ac has to work.
If you ever burn the beans the vent with a fan is pretty handy.

It's so dry here I invite moisture in the air. My range vent is not vented, it only recirculates the air back into the kitchen anyway. I don't cook much stuff with grease for my foil filter to catch anything at all. It's more of a joke of a filter anyway.

Back