Math tricks

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting.

If you ever need to calc asphalt. It is square footage x depth in inches x
.006 = tons

I'm just rambling here.

Find the volume of a cylinder.

Pie x R squared x length

If calced in feet you can divide by 27 to get cubic yard.

take your tape measure, pull it out, fold the tape back, put the end of the tape on the year 215

hold them together. look at your age, the year your born is on the other tape

I have a similar one. Get a tape measure, fold it in half. Fold it once again. Turn the tape over, and you will find the day you were born on your birth certificate. ;)

Do any of you guys use the 3,4,5 trick to make sure your walls are square?

Did it just the other day. Some times I do the 1x1x1.414 also.

Any time you have a square across the corners is 1.414x the side. So if you are making a 10x10 box across the corners is 14.14.

1.414 is a good number to remember same as 3.14

both measurements corner to corner have to be same, no math.

You are doing math though and more work. Say you measure corner to corner and you get 10’ 7, 11/16” one way and the other way you get 10’ 6, 5/16 the other way. You have to then add the two and divide by 2 or take the difference in the two divide that by 2 and add half to the smaller one. Now what you could do and what most people do is bump the one in about what you think half is and then measure again both ways and you are closer and then repeat over and over until you say close enough. Sometimes you are up and down a ladder doing this. One multiplication and you can get it right the first time. :)

We square walls on the floor and apply plywood there. The wall starts with the bottom plate nailed to the floor on on the line where it will be stude. The other lines on the floor give you a reference for straight sides so squaring is double checking and when out hardly ever more than 1/8 inch. But if the two plates are different length, that mistake is cought early.
Stick built walls are not squared, the corners are plumbed and the center is eyed straight or stringline straight

just call information, 1 411 lol

use the 345 all the time..upside down,

mark the concrete ceiling then pop a chalk line when laying out for pipe hanger anchors

use my tape all the time to subtrack and add,

just fold it over and count back,,,it is quicker than a calculater

Latest posts

Back