Need a solution...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wml52

Reaction score
I am posting here with the hope that someone can help with a problem I came across. I will try to be as brief as possible.

I recently installed a 30-amp interlock breaker in my breaker panel for my portable generator, which will run essentials if needed. I ran 8-3 NM/B wire from the generator feed to the interlock breaker.

I planned on using 2 Murata Power Solutions ACM20-2-AC1-R-C meters that will measure volts, amps, watts and Hz to monitor L1 and L2 from the generator. The meters use 2-18 awg leads to monitor the power (See attached diagram)

The issue I have is this, I would like to monitor L1 and L2 directly however since I cannot double tap the wire feeding the breaker I need a way to legally and safely tap into L1 and L2 with the 18-awg wire. I could pigtail one of the breakers for a branch circuit but would rather not since turning off that breaker will not allow me to monitor that particular leg of the main.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ACM20-2-AC1-R-C .jpg

I am posting here with the hope that someone can help with a problem I came across. I will try to be as brief as possible.

I recently installed a 30-amp interlock breaker in my breaker panel for my portable generator, which will run essentials if needed. I ran 8-3 NM/B wire from the generator feed to the interlock breaker.

I planned on using 2 Murata Power Solutions ACM20-2-AC1-R-C meters that will measure volts, amps, watts and Hz to monitor L1 and L2 from the generator. The meters use 2-18 awg leads to monitor the power (See attached diagram)

The issue I have is this, I would like to monitor L1 and L2 directly however since I cannot double tap the wire feeding the breaker I need a way to legally and safely tap into L1 and L2 with the 18-awg wire. I could pigtail one of the breakers for a branch circuit but would rather not since turning off that breaker will not allow me to monitor that particular leg of the main.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Several Questions:
Are you familiar with "saddle taps"?
Do you have enough breaker slots left in your panel to add a double pole breaker?
More will follow.

I am familure with saddle taps used in plumbing but have not heard of electrical saddle taps?

Unfortunately I do not have any available spaced left for additional breakers

Does your cable from the generator have a green or bare earth ground ?

God bless
Wyr

I ran 8-3 NM cable to the breaker box Red, Blk, Wht, Bare Gnd

Replace a single poke breaker on each leg in the panel with a tandem breaker. One wire for existing circuit and one wire for sensing monitor. And you can shut off the side of the tandem breaker for the existing circuit while leaving power on for the sensing circuit.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back