Buckling bamboo floor.. don't know what's going on!!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twnori

Reaction score
Hi guys... I'm new here. I'm having some problem with the bamboo floor I have some contractor installed 8 months ago and I'm really hoping someone can shine some light on it for me.

During these 8 months after installation the floor are starting to buckle, while it's not very severe, you can definitely see it everywhere. I had some moisture experts coming in to take a look at the floor and the wall, they said there's no leak and my floor and wall are as dry as they should be. So my next suspicion would be the material so I called the manufacturer of the flooring, the glue, and the moisture barrier; unfortunately, no one is willing to take the blame. This is turning in to a nightmare!! what can I do?

Here are some facts about my floor:

- It is glued down onto concrete slab, with Roberts R1509 and moisture barrier is bostik MVP

- The flooring has been accumulated in the box (closed) inside the garage for at least a week. then, in the box (opened) inside the house for 3 days (minimum days required written on the box) The instruction that came with the box said you're supposed to take them out and stack them on top of each other for air ventilation though..

- my house's humidity level is between 35% - 50%

Last edited:
yes! There are gaps on the edges. We double checked on that.

no, this is installed on concrete slab.

Last edited:
Three different products, they will all blame each other and you or the moisture in your floor, good luck

Have a lot of bamboo floor experience .... mostly not good. The material is very susceptible to moisture absorption, leading to cupping and buckling. Surprised you are getting this outcome indoors with low humidity. However, the glue-down gave me a gasp .... floating is far preferable because it allows the product to expand and contract. What good is a margin gap if the entire floor is glued?

Now, if only the joints are glued, leaving the entire floor to float as a unit, then the gap makes sense if and only if it is large enough to allow movement.

Honestly, I do not recommend bamboo as a flooring product. Not only does it tend to cup but it is not very durable.

Sorry for you.

Just curious, but is this a product from Lumber Liquidator?

It is not from lumber liquidator. I got them from a local flooring shop, which they got it from Tecsun. Can anyone give me any tips on how I can pinpoint the problem and go after the correct party? :( Do I need to hire some kind of inspector? How about a lawyer?

I would start by talking to all the other flooring stores in the area, find out what they think of your guy and if they have had problems with same products. Glued down can be a problem because they can't breath from below and I have heard of flooring guys that won't install bamboo but I don't recall the reason.

Latest posts

Back