Sink leaks driving me crazy, little help appreciated.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurch63

Reaction score
Hey folks. I got a few leaks coming from my restroom sink hopefully you can help me out a bit with. There's one coming from each of the water inlet hoses where they mate with the faucet, another from the pull thing to fill the sink with water and one from the drain valve where it connects with the sink. I tried tightening all this & they still leak. I'm wondering if it could be the faucet fixture itself or the hoses. Any ideas?

You need a "basin wrench" to properly reach the supply line nut. You can get one for cheap at HD or Lowes or ? While you are there, pick up a tub of plumber's putty which might cost $4.00

Plumbing is about the "feel" of the tightening. DO NOT get all gorilla with the fittings. You should be able to get a leak-free installation with a firm tightening. Over-tightening strip or cracks things. No good.

Lets start the faucet install from the beginning because you are getting water down the lever actuator and the faucet/supply line. So, disconnect everything and start over. Pull the faucet out, clean the sink, apply a thin rope of putty on the perimeter of the faucet. Now re-install the faucet nuts from underneath using you handy-dandy new tool while keeping the faucet properly centered. (A lovely assistant can be of great help here as you lay on the floor -- but focus on your task!)

BOTH the faucet nut and the supply line need to be tightened if you look closely. Sometimes (rarely) there is a rubber washer which goes on before the faucet nut. Once you tighten both firmly, turn the water on and check for leaks. The supply line should not leak at the fitting. Get in there with a light and your fingers to be sure.

That should do the trick and your lovely assistant will think you are a genius.

PS Here is a video to assist you .... the guy is boring as hell but gets the right things done. Notice how he uses the "feel" of the basin wrench

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0iyJJISqZw[/ame]

Hey folks. I got a few leaks coming from my restroom sink hopefully you can help me out a bit with.

At any rate, the price will be right.

There's one coming from each of the water inlet hoses where they mate with the faucet,

Are these consistent or just when you use the faucet?

What I see in the photos is a plastic nut on the connector and I would change your supply lines to a model with a metal nut.

another from the pull thing to fill the sink with water

Is this consistent or just when you use the faucet?

If only when the faucet is in use, it portends of a failure in the faucet or bleed over, from the supply lines.

and one from the drain valve where it connects with the sink. I tried tightening all this & they still leak. I'm wondering if it could be the faucet fixture itself or the hoses. Any ideas

This could be from a failed washer or sealer at the sink drain.

Thanks guys. I tried to retighten everything but it kept leaking so I said screw it & went to Home Depot & picked up a new faucet which included a new drain pipe I also bought new supply lines. Problem solved. Also yes everyone of the leaks seemed to only occur when the faucet was in use.

Thanks for the advice guys

Thanks guys. I tried to retighten everything but it kept leaking so I said screw it & went to Home Depot & picked up a new faucet which included a new drain pipe I also bought new supply lines. Problem solved. Also yes everyone of the leaks seemed to only occur when the faucet was in use.

Thanks for the advice guys

I had a problem with one of those breaded supply lines. It didn't leak all the time, maybe just when it was being used.

Back