Quad Outlet in Single Gang Box

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eforti

Reaction score
Hello All,
I'm new to this forum and have read through the rules to ensure I'm not spamming people here. I've just launched a new electrical outlet on kickstarter that can double or triple your outlets at the push of a button.

I'm curious to get peoples input on whether or not you could see using this product in your homes. I'm not going to post a link yet, just upload an image. That way I'm not risking being flagged for spam!

Please see attached and let me know your thoughts on the design.

Regards,
Eric

SocialBoostWhite.jpg

Pretty cool. i like the USB slot. How well does it handle wall warts? I imagine they can get in the way when popped opened.

Hey slownsteady,
Thanks for the feedback! I'm attaching an image with several plugs installed to show the space available. The sideways nature of the outlet faces actually provides a bit more space than traditional orientations. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Regards,
Eric Forti

NewPost.jpg

There are a whole lot of add on adapters some have USB some have 6 outlets etc. the market is flooded with these. All a home owner has to do is plug it in. I personally would rather stick with the cheap outlet and add one of these if I needed more. If it quits working toss it and for $5.39 buy another and never need an electrician.

I am also an inventor and have a few patents under my belt and it is very difficult to protect yourself in today’s world from the influx of made in china knockoffs, and to be completive and a price point to get any traction in the market you will also have to build in Asia.

I like the inventiveness a lot and the way you stopped by for opinions. I have done similar things in the past asking for honest opinions. What I always wanted to hear is the truth not what I wanted to hear.

If this was the shark tank I would have to wish you well but tell you I’m out.

Here is one of the plug in adapter made by none other than GE.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009HKEXM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
What size box do you need to install it?

Hey slownsteady,
We've installed it in an 18 cu in box with no issues (box fill calculations support that as well).

Here's an image with a cutaway box:
HBQrxzs.jpg

There are a whole lot of add on adapters some have USB some have 6 outlets etc. the market is flooded with these. All a home owner has to do is plug it in. I personally would rather stick with the cheap outlet and add one of these if I needed more. If it quits working toss it and for $5.39 buy another and never need an electrician.

I am also an inventor and have a few patents under my belt and it is very difficult to protect yourself in today’s world from the influx of made in china knockoffs, and to be completive and a price point to get any traction in the market you will also have to build in Asia.

I like the inventiveness a lot and the way you stopped by for opinions. I have done similar things in the past asking for honest opinions. What I always wanted to hear is the truth not what I wanted to hear.

If this was the shark tank I would have to wish you well but tell you I’m out.

Here is one of the plug in adapter made by none other than GE.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009HKEXM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Hello bud16415,
You are 100% right that there are cheaper alternatives out there that will meet many peoples needs. I wouldn't blame anyone for using those solutions. Our thought is that this design is an elegant solution to several of the problems people face when they don't have enough outlets that may be worth a bit more. Your input and critiques are definitely appreciated and noted.

Regards,
Eric Forti

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like you are quite a ways beyond concept and have built some hard tooling. I’m sure your design involves quite a few molded parts and if launched in a big way would require automated assembly to keep the price down.

I will ask even though I’m out what your target price point is in the US market?

That’s the number along with return that will really sway the masses one way or another.

Did you print the samples you show or have you set up to mold parts already?

Hey slownsteady,
We've installed it in an 18 cu in box with no issues (box fill calculations support that as well).

Here's an image with a cutaway box:
HBQrxzs.jpg

So you box can be installed in a finished wall, so that would be just near another box already there?

It looks like you are quite a ways beyond concept and have built some hard tooling. I’m sure your design involves quite a few molded parts and if launched in a big way would require automated assembly to keep the price down.

I will ask even though I’m out what your target price point is in the US market?

That’s the number along with return that will really sway the masses one way or another.

Did you print the samples you show or have you set up to mold parts already?
Hello bud16415,
The parts you see are prototypes (but admittedly they look really good). We've gotten quotes for tooling and are nearly ready to take that next step. In regards to price point we're launching after Kickstarter with a retail of $39.99 and $49.99 for the 4 Plug and the 4 Plug w/2 USB's. When compared to the Adorne Pop-Out that only has 3 plugs, which are all hidden in the closed position, we're at a lower pricepoint by $10 and over featured. What are your thoughts on our pricing?

Regards,
Eric Forti

So you box can be installed in a finished wall, so that would be just near another box already there?

Hey nealtw,
Is your comment about the blue wall box design? It's an Old Work box that's intended for an easy drop into a finished wall, yes. You can run wires from another local box as needed. Our design fits into New Work boxes as well, this is just the one I have a cutaway view of.

Hope this answers your question but if not please let me know.

Regards,
Eric Forti

I think his question was about putting two devices in a double box or one of them in a box with a switch beside it. The cover doesn't look like it would allow that.

I think his question was about putting two devices in a double box or one of them in a box with a switch beside it. The cover doesn't look like it would allow that.

Thanks for clarifying JoeD,
Our design is not currently setup for more than 1 gang. So it wouldn't work in the double box with another outlet or switch. We could definitely envision design that's compatible with a switch, but having two of theOUTlet next to each other doesn't seem like it would work well based on opening angles. You'd have plugs interfering with each other.

Sorry for my confusion!

Regards,
Eric Forti

Since this is designed to be a permanent installation, instead of a "fireman's friend" that bud was referencing. What is the design load, any agency approvals, ETL or UL?

Since this is designed to be a permanent installation, instead of a "fireman's friend" that bud was referencing. What is the design load, any agency approvals, ETL or UL?

Hello Snoonyb,
Our initial launch product is a 15A design, but we have already designed a 20A version for launch after Kickstarter as well. We will be submitting to cULus so that we've covered in the U.S. and Canada.

Regards,
Eric Forti

Hello bud16415,
The parts you see are prototypes (but admittedly they look really good). We've gotten quotes for tooling and are nearly ready to take that next step. In regards to price point we're launching after Kickstarter with a retail of $39.99 and $49.99 for the 4 Plug and the 4 Plug w/2 USB's. When compared to the Adorne Pop-Out that only has 3 plugs, which are all hidden in the closed position, we're at a lower pricepoint by $10 and over featured. What are your thoughts on our pricing?

Regards,
Eric Forti

Your price point is reasonable and if your cost of manufacturing to you is down in the $10 to $15 range you could make a go of it depending on finding a high end new construction market. I still don’t see someone with a dual outlet needing a quad removing the outlet they have and installing a new flip out unit in its place when for 1/8 the cost they could remove the cover plate screw of the one they have without even killing the power and plugging in and securing an external 6 outlet unit with just the cover plate screw. So for me if it came with the house I would use it, but if I was building new and it was any place I saw a possible need for more outlets in advance I would just put in a double to start.
I’m a basic kind of guy and the guy that stands in front of the peanut butter section at the grocery store for ten minutes thinking about what jar to buy. I’m extremely a DIY person and would love to install one of your units even though I would most likely not buy one. I have two sisters and one brother in law that if they saw your device in a good on floor demo display setting would absolutely love it and the elegant design, and buy it as I’m sure they would all have a couple locations that it would help them out with. Unfortunately none of them would be able to install it on their own and when they found out an electrician would likely charge 100 bucks to drive over and do it for them I would get the call. Floor space in any of the big retail stores is a factor and your design needs a demo display IMO to sell it in volume like that or people will walk right past it on a shelf in a box. A normal outlet can be anyplace in a store as you go in with the purpose of buying it no salesmanship required. There is an online opportunity and the internet is great for posting video and such to help in marketing. The drawback is like the link I posted above on Amazon and that is where you would have to be is as soon as I find your product Amazon posts below (People that looked at this also looked at this) and you are linked to the 5 buck simpler to install solution. Builders of upscale homes don’t shop on Amazon they go thru massive supply houses and by 1000 outlets at a crack and that’s the market I see you needing to be in along with wal-mart , lowes, HD etc.

People that buy these won’t be the guy that needs to plug 3 things in behind his end table. They will be the person that wants a clean look in their office or kitchen but finds they are running out of outlets above a counter where it would be simple to pop out another outlet or the USB. I have one that plugs in and has 2 USB ports and it gets used all the time on the kitchen counter for charging phones. A lot of people that buy power strips and these plug expanders are renters and college kids. Apartments are old houses or cheaply made places with minimal outlets, dorm rooms are places built in 1960 that thought the only outlet a kid would need is for a desk lamp. In both cases no one will be rewiring.

One of the drawbacks of most of these “fireman’s friends” as (Snoonyb called them unfairly I might add) is they don’t work with split outlets where half is controlled by a switch. I don’t know if yours has a method to do that?

I didn’t even know about the Adorne pop out but just watched their little vid. They are addressing exactly the market I described above, and their whole thing is looks not utility. The premise is in some visible locations an outlet is viewed as old looking and ugly but a necessity. They show both locations someone might want to hide an outlet with a fancy modern looking clean appliance looking thing. Mounted into a highly visible stone backsplash in a kitchen counter and that location where you always plug in the sweeper that is easy to get to but sticks out like a sore thumb. They have come up with a million ways to make an attractive faceplate but you always have that ugly plastic outlet poking out with the 6 black holes. They are selling the clean look is all they have going for them.

Hello Snoonyb,
Our initial launch product is a 15A design, but we have already designed a 20A version for launch after Kickstarter as well. We will be submitting to cULus so that we've covered in the U.S. and Canada.

Regards,
Eric Forti

You have a long road ahead of you in obtaining "agency" approvals.

I still prefer a plug strip which has its own safety measures built in, so until you have a protection method that can isolate the device from the circuit in the event of an overload, I'd be out.

Fireman's friend was a term assigned by fire officials, who by the way, are also the senior building officials.

You have a long road ahead of you in obtaining "agency" approvals.

I still prefer a plug strip which has its own safety measures built in, so until you have a protection method that can isolate the device from the circuit in the event of an overload, I'd be out.

Fireman's friend was a term assigned by fire officials, who by the way, are also the senior building officials.

The only real problem in the days of old with fuses were they all screwed into the same base. People would stick a couple Fireman’s friends into and outlet and then build an octopus of cords and blow a fuse. So the fix was go down to the basement and pull the 15a and stick in a 20a fuse if that blew keep going higher. That and if you couldn’t find a fuse just pop a penny in the hole and screw the blown fuse back in. It really wasn’t the fireman’s friend that caused the fire it was the too big of fuse. With breakers that’s a lot harder to do. And no matter how many cords you run off an outlet you hit 15a and you are done.

You bring up a good point though using something like this in the kitchen or anyplace that requires GFIC you will still need something up stream.

Back