T&G cedar VS regular cedar boards

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ditchmonkey

Reaction score
Is there any reason to use T&G other than the need to hide the nail holes? I'm looking to have cedar paneling directly on the studs for a new rustic guest bathroom. The nail holes don't bother me. I was thinking the regular boards would allow me to save a little money and choose boards with more character. Thoughts?

The shrink and expand with moisture in the house, with out T&G you will have to deal with cracks and you have no fire stop value.

A simple lap joint would do. Not sure if easy to find or any cheaper than T&G. Although you could make your own with just a simple router setup

If you want rustic and an interesting look, use cedar clapboards. I would put them over sheetrock. Just search for shiplap wall designs. You can even use pine and paint it.

Last edited:
I would put them up over plywood.

I don't think there's a need to use ply under, especially in a bathroom. Although it does cause me to consider using plywood on the walls and 1x2s or 1x3s vertically for a board and batten look.
Good idea bud.

I don't think there's a need to use ply under, especially in a bathroom. Although it does cause me to consider using plywood on the walls and 1x2s or 1x3s vertically for a board and batten look.
Good idea bud.

No problem. You owe me one. :rofl:

Thanks for the replies. Some clarification:

1. T&G alone provides some firebreak value? (in response to Neal)
2. If I decided to use a base layer under the cedar, would sheetrock be better than plywood because of increased firebreak value?
3. Is there a reason to use plywood instead of OSB in this application?

I think code is 30 minutes burn thru, not sure if T&G ceder passes that, but open cracks would be a lot less.
7/16 plywood or osb do pass the code, you still want to nail the cedar to the studs so dry wall is cheaper and easier to cut. You will have to extend the door jams. Make the extension with a 1/8 set back.
There are lots of lower grade sidings .

Back