%^&$ Maytag oven door

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nealtw

Contractor retired
Reaction score
This door has never been removed, about 10 years old.
The clips seem to be sticking out to much as the door has run into them and they have dented the inside panel of the door.
I would have expected them to be the clips to swing out of the way to remove the door, they do not move.

The homeowner cleaned the oven and leaned on the door and now it will not close, any ideas.

IMG00170-20140911-0432.jpg

focus, focus.

Sorry about that. The piece with the little tab sticking up, to me looked like it should be in to lock, out to unlock. The shinny piece above it is not part of it.
I took a pic of the model numbers but that was out of focus too. I'm a carpenter, what would you expect.:rofl:

Just guessing here, but if it's a self-cleaning oven it would have a latch for that cycle. Maybe the latch got moved before the door was closed.

I remember running into a similar problem years ago with my own built-in oven. On my oven, those hinges were designed that way to remove the doors completely, and another push-click was needed to seat the hinge for normal use.

Just guessing here, but if it's a self-cleaning oven it would have a latch for that cycle. Maybe the latch got moved before the door was closed.

I think this goes back to that swinging thingy problem where the swinging thingy won’t stay in the correct position.

:)

I think this goes back to that swinging thingy problem where the swinging thingy won’t stay in the correct position.

:)

It is a maytag so having the clip in the wrong place when installed would be my guess too, I think they went shopping for a new stove.

Mr Repairman had a look and said indeed the clips were in the wrong place before the door was installed and if they had ever used the self cleaning, it could have been bad news.
In order to fix it he would have to remove the outer shell, and then he thought the springs were weak so the hinges would have to be changed out another $ 150 for those.
It turns out that this stove was bought at a scratch and dent store but it had no dents so I guess we know why that store had it.
He also said he has seen this before and usually it is the unit on display and customers trying things out do it.;)

Latest posts

Back