Bathroom layout help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessicaK

Reaction score
Hi! I'm very new to all things home improvement. So new that I don't even own the home yet! But we have fallen in love with this home, but it needs a second bathroom. Luckily there is some wonderful unfinished space, I just am unsure how to best utilise it, which is where I need your help! The space is under the attic eves, so head room is the largest issue. The room is about 24ft long, and the best description of the width it's in the picture. My lovely realtor model is 6ft even, so he makes a great reference point.

We had a plumber come look and he said it shouldn't be a problem to plumb, but talked about putting the sink on the tall wall, and the stool also on the tall wall or the end. I would love to figure out a layout that would let us also put a tub some how, and everything I've seen from looking at ideas online suggests the toilet on the short wall to leave the head room for the walking path. I'm also concerned that a sink on the tall wall would make a person have to tilt their head to walk around it to the stool.

I know part of it has to do with how far the short wall goes in, that a toilet would have to be significantly out from the wall to allow it to be on the short wall. What do you think? How can I make this space a simple but not awkward bathroom?

image.jpg

Right after thinking you are nuts, I thought about a dormer in the roof to make it an actual room.
That might be more than you were thinking of so try this. Put the toilet at the end behind you in the picture.
Build another knee wall at the 4 ft mark and install the sink against that wall to your right, A slim line sink so you can get past it.
For more head room at the sink you could install a raised sky light just above the sink.
The bigger problem is how you run the pipes but you said the plumb thought he could do it. His suggestion also included running the pipes so check with him before you settle on a different plan.

If I were going to spend the money to install a bath, I'd save a little longer and have a shed roof put up and make the whole area a lot more useable. Just my :2cents:

I agree with Neal and Oldog a shed dormer would be the way to go. Start at the peak and run down to about 7’ add a window or two being a long skinny room. Below the window a long counter top with his and hers sinks. The very far wall all tile shower at least 4’ deep 5’ would be better. You have a very long but not wide room so stretch things in that direction to make the room seem larger. Enter the room with an inswing door with hinges to the right such that the door goes against the stud wall. when you walk in the door the toilet will be to your left with its back against the new wall of the dormer. Toilet will face the stud wall in your picture. Again the length is your friend don’t cram the toilet into a tight spot leave 12” to 18” on both sides before the counter top starts.

If cost is an issue and you being new to DIY I would suggest you hire the dormer built and all outside finished by a pro. Hire a plumber to do all the rough in if you feel that is going to be too much to handle also. Then the building of the bath would be a great DIY project to get your feet wet with. Pun intended. The guys here would love to walk you thru the steps.

As a side note if the master is on the other side of that wall put the door in that wall or that wall and the end wall.

Oh I almost forgot, :welcome: to the forum

shed roof.jpg

With a small child, a bathroom on the same floor with the bedrooms is a pretty immediate need. Purchasing this home and putting SOMETHING in is going to about tap us out, so a dormer is out of the books at least for a few years. Everything on the other side of the wall is finished, including where the door is (about smack dab in the middle of the length of the run)

Thoughts continue to seem to place the sink along the tall wall. Wouldn't putting it on the left (short wall side) allow your head room to be utilized more as well as allowing walk to toilet easier?

Such as the placement of stool and sink in this picture.

image.jpg

That is a great layout, but the short wall is closer to the one I showed in the new shed dormer photo I made you. Your wall stops at about the height of the toilet tank or the sink.

Here is kind of the ergonomics that I'm thinking, but maybe I'm deluding myself.

image.jpg

It will work yes. If your starting point is high enough if your guy is 6’ I’m thinking your starting point is about 2’8” pretty sure your roof looks like 12/12

Brushing teeth might be interesting.

I like this plan, I would just extend the brown wall all the way and put the sink against that wall. post 8

I never saw a walk thru shower except in gym class. Latest thing I guess.
Don’t your feet get wet if someone just took a shower before you and you need to go?

walkthrushower.jpg

Actually if that was my house I know exactly what that room would become and not a bathroom. She would have it become one huge closet with shoe racks and shelf and hanging rods at different heights. If it was 24’ long she would get 22’ for her stuff and I would get 2’ for mine. I would then look at the big picture and maybe remove the other closets or even some walls and find a location best suited to a second floor bath. Something that worked well with plumbing locations and the floors below.

Sometimes backing away from a problem and looking at it from outside the box is better.

Actually if that was my house I know exactly what that room would become and not a bathroom. She would have it become one huge closet with shoe racks and shelf and hanging rods at different heights. If it was 24’ long she would get 22’ for her stuff and I would get 2’ for mine. I would then look at the big picture and maybe remove the other closets or even some walls and find a location best suited to a second floor bath. Something that worked well with plumbing locations and the floors below.

Sometimes backing away from a problem and looking at it from outside the box is better.

Yes, a toilet and sink fits nicely into 3x6 closet, that is a 1970s en suite.

The rooms have the other side of the roof for their closets. This space is right above the kitchen and the plumber thought the route for the pipes looked great.

And, luckily, I am the "she" and have no need of incredible storage for shoes. just need a second bathroom for our growing family.

The rooms have the other side of the roof for their closets. This space is right above the kitchen and the plumber thought the route for the pipes looked great.

And, luckily, I am the "she" and have no need of incredible storage for shoes. just need a second bathroom for our growing family.

Is all that wall brick?

Latest posts

Back