Small rot in top plate is this a candidate for wood epoxy?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dimme

Reaction score
I am just finishing up repairs to a wall that was damaged by a roof leak about 14 years ago. I am guessing it happened before I owned the home and was fixed by the new roof I had put on when we moved in.So it’s been like this for years. I noticed the top plate had a signs of mold but it seemed to be sound. So I replaced what framing needed to be fixed and had a 8ft x8ft portion of Stucco replaced because the original sheathing was damaged. When the stucco was off I check the top plate from the other side and it was fine. When I replaced the framing I added a 2x4 underneath to help spread out the point of contact. I also painted minwax wood harder on the inside. Cleaning up on Sunday I gave the toplate one last inspection an noticed there was a soft spot I missed, I removed the dead wood. At the very bottom the cavity is about 2 to 2.5 inches but the wood above seems sound. I was checking with a screwdriver. I was thinking of filling the hole with Albartron liquid wood and wood epoxy. Otherwise I am thinking I will have to start all over and possibly have the stucco removed and replaced again. This is a outside wall of a 1100 sq/ft ranch house. there is a roof rafter sitting above this spot.

IMG_0653.jpg

Never seen wax used before, better would have been a little copper treatment like they use on treated lumber.. If you have rot it is good to remove as much as you can and treat anything discolored for the kill.
I am sure what you have there will do the job, but I would remove that lower plate from stud to stud and replace it and add a stud under each end.

Latest posts

Back