Pluging soffit gaps to prevent wasps

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robert2016

Reaction score
How do I plug up these gaps in soffit, around lights, to prevent wasps and hornets from entering?

Pictures attached.

There are gaps between the bulb and the fixture, and gaps between the fixture and the soffit. Photos show the gaps.

I could simply foam it, etc. But foam is some goofy color that would look ugly. I'm also worried about heat around the bulb. Is there any nice way to do it?

Thanks!

20160211_092248.jpg

20160211_092241.jpg

Not much you can do about the gap between the bulb & the fixture, for obvious reasons. There is a fiber ring that i have seen packed with replacement outdoor spotlights that fits around the base of the bulb before you screw it in. If you can find one, it may help. The gap between the base and the soffit; well maybe white silicone, but I don't know if the heat will be an issue.

silicone can take the heat but I would use chunks of foam pipe insulation but what about the gaps at the J trim.

silicone can take the heat but I would use chunks of foam pipe insulation but what about the gaps at the J trim.

That’s not in the photos we are not allowed to think about that.

So I can mention, there are no vents in that soffit

Yep you can. I was thinking out of the box and wondering why houses are not made out of something bugs don’t like. :)

get some foam filler backer material from h.depot or lowes, it's used to fill space in concrete before caulking. It's gray in color and will blend wherever you put it

get some foam filler backer material from h.depot or lowes, it's used to fill space in concrete before caulking. It's gray in color and will blend wherever you put it

Yea, I think foam backer rod would work best too elbo

slownsteady has the right idea trying a flood lamp socket gasket, but I don't know if you can buy them as replacements. You may still have an issue using them depending on the design of your fixture. If it's a conical reflector that the bulb and trim fit into, it may help, but if it's just a trim in a coffee can style housing...probably not. You may need to find a trim with a lens that fits that housing.

Latest posts

Back