How long can you reasonably expect washer/dryers to last

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfclay

Reaction score
I've got 5 kids, one of them has special needs. I do a minimum average of 2 loads laundry per day, sometimes much more.

I've bought some good equipment in last 15 years I think- fisher and Paykel and now Samsung and LG. I think the current problems with washer are- does appear to spin enough water out, dryer appears to have bad design with lint trap and I think lint is all up in the exhaust path and reduces efficiency.

How long reasonably should these things last? Both pieces now are about 6 years old.

My first set was a 20 year old hand me down and I used them for another six or so years before upgrading to a ten year old set which only last me a few years before having the same problem you describe. The set I have now is two years old and luckily I have not had any problems yet.

To answer your question, things are not made like they used to be so I would think getting ten years now would be acceptable.

Ten years seems to be a good run these days. My old Kenmore (Whirlpool) lasted about 22 years. Most times a basic machine without all the gizmos will last longer than the high tech version; too many things to go bad - harder to fix.

To get the most out of your dryer, make sure the vents are cleaned often to remove lint (it doesn't all get trapped by the filter). And make sure the vent is the shortest, straightest run possible.

Depends on usage and the brand. With your usage and a good machine I would think 10 years would be max. Stay away from the new models that don’t have an agitator.

Latest posts

Back