Adventures with a plank-built, relocated 1912 house

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spounder

Reaction score
Hi all!

I probably should have joined all these forums months ago when we embarked on our little adventure. After a few failed contracts (due to inspection and appraisal issues) on mid-range homes, we bought a little (800 sq ft) 1912 house with character, a new-ish roof, dry basement, and mostly-sound floors, but otherwise in need of LOTS of attention.

We moved to Western North Dakota for my husband's job (NOT in oil and gas) and on a promise that I'd have a job, too. After much ado, it has become my job to remodel/restore our little house and make it livable. We bought the house on an estate sale; the two bachelor sons of the old woman had been living in it for some years, and it probably hasn't had any attention in at least 10 years.

Suffice it to say that we made frequent use of hand sanitizer for awhile, and the first thing I replaced was the toilet (and subfloor, or the new one would have fallen through). The only things in the kitchen were an old sink base and dishwasher from the 70's, and a few oddly-placed, equally funky cabinets. At least there wasn't really any other junk to remove. It wasn't clean by any stretch of the imagination, but almost all the "stuff" had been removed.

So, I'm tackling it all - fixing walls, new floors, a bit of framing, plumbing, electrical, appliances, cabinets, and fixtures. And of course ripping out what we need to... all while we're living in it with all our stuff. Yes, I have some experience and a reasonable shopfull of tools, and my husband helps out here and there, but I have lots of homework and learning ahead of me still to do it all and do it safely!

Why am I here? For moral support, to pick your brains, and to share some of my discoveries along the way. Thanks to everyone out there who tries to help folks out on here!

Welcome to the forum. We do some of our best work in the form of moral support.

:welcome::welcome::welcome:

we have brains that are pickable...

Latest posts

Back