Question on shed foundations

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rflaherty825

Inspiring Do It Yourselfer
Reaction score
So my fiancé and I want to get a shed but want to keep a low budget. So we decided to go with a 10X12 metal shed. I know they aren't the best but with our budget this will be our starter shed.

Now my main question is this can I use a gravel foundation after digging down to level my base area and then put a wooden base on top be ok? I was told the gravel will make it rust. I tried researching this and either I am looking in the wrong places or there is no clear answer. Any help is appreciated.

Ryan

Welcome to the site. Your shed should have galvanized steel where it meets the base to counter act rust. Rust is caused with air and water so you have a better chance if the water drains away.
Do you have a plan for anchoring it down.

Thank you

This may sound stupid but I just planned on bolting it to the wood base floor. Is there something else you recommend?

Thank you

This may sound stupid but I just planned on bolting it to the wood base floor. Is there something else you recommend?

No you just need it to be heavy enough so wind wound move it. Are you building a floor or just using the gravel with a perimeter timber.

My plan was to do a 12 x 14 timber perimeter in the ground half way then gravel to level the area off after digging some dirt up. then build a wood floor base and set the shed on top of it. I will have a snowblower 2 lawn mowers a ladder and trimmer as well as misc yard materials like shovels and such.

Depending on where you are, it may be subject to frost heaves but it is just a shed.
I have done that by just placing blocks of treated timber on the ground level them and build the floor on those, just double the perimeter joists.
There is no wrong way. If you are putting the shed on the floor you will want some sort of protection for the outside edges of the floor.
A landscape material store will have a real heavy landscape fabric, feels like fiberglass , put that under the gravel.

I have plenty of that fabric already what sizes of wood for the base/floor of the shed would you recommend?

6x6 treated post will work fine, just make sure it is rated for underground. Underground wood has thousand of little cuts in the surface so the treatment gets deeper.
Better if you can lay your hands on used railway ties.

I think the advice you got about gravel has to do with percolation of moisture up into the shed. With enough ventilation, the shed should be fine for a number of years. But frankly, I don't think the gravel will do much to help, except for holding down and protecting the landscape fabric.
You want a sturdy floor, so go with a 3/4" ply and enough framing underneath to support it. Consider a ramp at the entrance to help get mowers and other heavy stuff into and out of the shed.
If you build the floor framing well, you don't necessarily need the timbers to lay on the ground; you could use CMUs or concrete blocks to support the frame above the ground.

Latest posts

Back