Ceiling Fan Wiring

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surfside

Reaction score
If this topic doesn't belong here, let me know, and I will move it to the right place.

I moved into this house that has two ceiling fans w/light kits. They provide the main lighting for our family room. The way that it is currently wired, there are two switches that control the fans: 1 for both lights, and 1 for both fans. The light switch currently has a dimmer switch to dim the lights.

I have two problems. The one fan that works hangs 6' down from a 18' ceiling. The chains are short, so it requires me to get a ladder to change fan speed and direction. The other fan doesn't work at all. Both lights do work with their switch just fine. Both fans are 20 yrs old and need updating, so I want to replace them both. What I want are two fans that work with a remote control that controls fan speed and direction. I asked someone over the phone, and they were telling me that I needed to install some remote box in the ceiling. To me, it seems unnecessary, but that is why I am here to find out if that is necessary and why. I guess that I thought that I could just buy two fans w/lights with remotes and install them conventionally. I just need to know if I am wrong before I get started.

Thank you for any help/advice that you can provide.

If you are going with new fans the receiver fits in the top
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiIiI4037NE[/ame]

But the one that still works, a fork bent over and taped to a stick is no quite remote but.;)

What NEAL has described is a "walk-around" remote.

Hunter has a remote controlled fan that all functions are controlled from the wall switch.

As you start to narrow down your search for the right fan, you can usually look at the install directions online, as well as user manuals. That should answer most of your questions. Those docs are generally posted along with the details and specs.

All good answers, everyone. Thanks. I guess I still have a question about having two ceiling fans in the same great room. If I wanted to control the fans with a remote control, instead of from the wall switch, do I then need two remote controls/walk-around remotes? Is it even possible to control both fans & light kits simultaneously from one remote and one control?

The higher end, are not dissimilar from a garage door remote, in that it requires little more than adjusting a code.

One remote would not be a good idea. If for some reason they got out sync(one light on, one light off) you would be in trouble.

One remote would not be a good idea. If for some reason they got out sync(one light on, one light off) you would be in trouble.

You can control fans independent of each other with one remote but is is something about the number of dip switches at the receivers.:confused::confused:

You guys are the best. I just must not have been using the correct search terms when I tried to Google it myself. I appreciate all of the help.

Back