Circular saw losing mojo

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ditchmonkey

Reaction score
I have a Porter Cable circular saw and recently have been abusing it a bit during a deck project - full depth cuts into beams, lots of cuts on 2x8's, 2x10's etc. I'm on my third blade since this project started. The original blade quit cutting during the deep cuts into the beams so I replaced it and was back in business. Now, not so many cuts later, the saw can't complete a cut through a 2x10 without stopping completely. Changed the blade again and it was better for a bit but after a few cuts is even worse. I would say it's simply binding, but I was making these cuts last week without much trouble. Also, it's getting jammed up in short cuts where there is no chance of any binding.

Could the motor be crapping out?

Corded, battery?
If the blade is binding it will be stuck in the cut
What blade are you using?

Do both the blade and the motor stop, or one or the other?

Corded, battery?
If the blade is binding it will be stuck in the cut
What blade are you using?

Corded. The blade isnt stuck. The replacement blades are Dewalt, I don't know the specifics. To answer the other question in the thread, I'm pretty certain I installed it correctly but I'll double check.

Corded. The blade isnt stuck. The replacement blades are Dewalt, I don't know the specifics. To answer the other question in the thread, I'm pretty certain I installed it correctly but I'll double check.

and this one;"Do both the blade and the motor stop, or one or the other?"

The motor is usually the last thing you have to worry about.
Check the cord for breaks sometimes they have to be shortened at the saw end.
You could need new brushes.

Thanks.
If both stop simultaneously and there is no corresponding hum, or reaction from repeated trigger pulls, the brushes may be near the end of their use, or the switch may be failing.

With the tool unplugged remove 1 of the 2 brush caps and compare the length with the PDF.

As often as not you can, while squeezing the trigger, manipulate it to cause a weak switch to find its weak point and fail, or operate.

Thanks.
If both stop simultaneously and there is no corresponding hum, or reaction from repeated trigger pulls, the brushes may be near the end of their use, or the switch may be failing.

With the tool unplugged remove 1 of the 2 brush caps and compare the length with the PDF.

As often as not you can, while squeezing the trigger, manipulate it to cause a weak switch to find its weak point and fail, or operate.

Thanks for the info. By PDF do you mean the instruction manual? I tried to download that from Porter Cables website but I just get a blank page. Anyway, given my project timelines I might just need to get a new saw since this one is now on sale for $55 at my local home improvement store. I just don't have time right now to do a lot of troubleshooting.

Before I get a new one, does anyone have any recommendations by brand?

Sometimes replacing is the shortest path.

A one point when I was "just" stacking roofs, I got tired of replacing skil wormdrives, because they were being dropped, and bought a bunch of $5-$15 saws from swap-meets and pawn shops.

Latest posts

Back