Do Solid Core Doors Really Reduce the Sound of a Noisy Roommate??

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul678

Reaction score
I'd like to hear any anecdotes about putting in solid core doors, and if it made the room quieter. There is a pretty big space under the door, to allow the A/C air return path, but there is also a vent under the hot water heater closet next to my room. But the big spacing should be kept the same with the new solid core door, right? Because the cubic cm/sec of the A/C coming from both the room vent and the master bedroom bathroom has been calculated before, right?

I might also try putting a sliding curtain on my side of the door, and seeing how effective that is. Both should be very quiet.

How much per door should I pay someone to do this for me (I supply the new door, of course), in the city of Tucson? A fair price?

Thanks everyone....

Given the return air gap under the door, I don't think a solid core door will really help much. You're effectively leaving the door ajar, so it doesn't much matter...solid or hollow. I know they make return vents that go over the door or in the wall and are baffled to reduce noise.

Latest posts

Back