Incomplete Roof Repair?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reelsix

Reaction score
I had my roof completely redone last year. New asphalt shingles and several rotted boards of sheathing replaced. The roofers had to remove 3+ layers of old shingles so it was a substantial amount of work. In the process, they cut off the tops of several pipes venting from the roof. I am not sure what vents from these pipes and only noticed recently that they did not replace the caps/hoods to these pipes so they are completely exposed to elements.

Would a roofer typically be responsible for replacing these caps if they cut them off? Is replacing the hoods/caps to them 100% necessary?

I had my roof completely redone last year. New asphalt shingles and several rotted boards of sheathing replaced. The roofers had to remove 3+ layers of old shingles so it was a substantial amount of work. In the process, they cut off the tops of several pipes venting from the roof. I am not sure what vents from these pipes and only noticed recently that they did not replace the caps/hoods to these pipes so they are completely exposed to elements.

Would a roofer typically be responsible for replacing these caps if they cut them off? Is replacing the hoods/caps to them 100% necessary?

Welcome, can you post some picture so we can see what they are?

Thanks - Here are images of the three open pipes. The vent for the water heater appears to be properly hooded.

IMG_5906.jpg

IMG_5907.jpg

IMG_5908.jpg

Only gas fired appliance exhaust vents are required to have a intrusion protection.

We only use lead pipe flashings and on a 3" flashing, the stack is 10" tall. The top is folded into the waste stack. These meet code requirements for height.

they need to be about 12'' above the roof. that is minimum

I see this a lot. the roofer cut the pipes off because he installed the roof jacks [pipe flashing] after he installed the shingles.
you can fix it with a coupling and shot piece of pipe.

if your roof is still under his warranty, call him up, tell him his guys cut the pipes off and you want it fixed
if not, buy some couplings

that is called poor workmenship.

Thanks all. Appreciate the advice. Will speak to the roofer.

Do i need to determine source of pipes and if intrusion protection is needed? Gas water heater is protected.

Just the gas fired, because rodents are warm blooded.

Back