Nagging GFI breaker problem.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

havasu

For the last 6 months, my backyard lights and small bar refrigerator were perfect. Lately, beginning about once a week, my breaker would trip. I would reset it, turn on everything, and it was fine for about a week, then the breaker would trip. Then it happened about every third day, and recently, whenever I would turn on anything in the backyard, the breaker would trip.

I had my brother in law (a great electrician) come over yesterday and after three hours of isolating the common (white) wires, he found a small cut in the shielding of the common wire, that was hitting the metal flexible conduit. We temporary wrapped the wire with tape, repositioned the plastic protective sleeve, and all is well.

Did I mention that I really hate this flexible conduit?

Thank you Bernie, and thanks to all the great electricians in the world.

20160507_192941_001.jpg

The picture is not flexible conduit. It is flexible cable. AKA BX, AKA, armor cable AKA mc or metal clad cable.

Thanks Joe. That tells you how little I know about electricity. Thanks!

And ghe only thing I know about electricity is stay away and it tastes really bad for a day or two. ...😳

Back