outlet-switch problem

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j5697

Reaction score
I just moved into a house and I am trying to figure out an outlet-switch issue. I have a bedroom with a switch that does nothing. I figured it controlled an outlet, so I found an outlet with 5 wires. 2 black and 2 white wires and a ground. I figured they must have forgot to break the little metal tab on the outlet. I broke it-reinstalled and now top has no voltage but the bottom does. I checked voltage going to switch and both black and white wires have voltage when checked against ground. Any ideas what to look into next? Thanks

Welcome.

Two cables going to the outlet may have indicated another outlet being power from there, so you might check the rest of the house to see if you lost something.

Have you checked to see if the switch and the outlet on the same breaker.

Perhaps some one removed a ceiling light.

You are probably correct about a receptacle being controlled but you found the wrong receptacle. Look for one with a white connected to a black to send power to the switch.

No ceiling lights or fan. Outlets and switch are on the same breaker switch. I did make a little progress. I tried another outlet. It had 3 main wire bundles entering outlet. Bottom 1 black and 1 white. Top has 1 white and a bundle of 1 white and 2 blacks tied in. I used outlet with tab broken. Bottom worked fine-switch worked and top (as well as another outlet) showed an open neutral

The black that comes from the cable with the white that is connected to the blacks is the switched hot coming back from the switch.

The circuit is called a switch-loop. Code requires that either an overhead lamp or a table/floor lamp be controlled by a wall switch when entering a dark room. In lieu (Fr.?) of an overhead lamp, the switch loop will power an outlet for a lamp.

The outlet is usually split so that one of the two on the yoke be continuously powered and the other switched for convenience.

I hope that explains the theory . GOOGLE switch loops for more info.

Replace the recep. that you originally split the tab on.

Stop taking things apart.

With the switch off, plug an appliance into all the recep. in the room until you find the one that does not work, turn the switch on.

Back