Saf T bar for ceiling fan

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinny186

Reaction score
I bought a Saf T Bar with an attached electrical box that was 1 1/2" deep or something similar but it didn't sit flush with the ceiling - it was about a 1/2 to 3/4" too short. Needless to say I was a little irritated that a simple job like this required yet another trip to a box store.

When would you want an electrical box attached to a saf t bar to be so shallow?

Since the box attaches to the bottom of the bar, what is the composition of your 2-1/4" thick ceiling?

The ceiling is either 5/8" or 1/2" drywall. I bought a 2 1/8" box that sits about a 1/4" below the ceiling so I'm sticking with it.

Anybody know why, without the blades on, the motor vibrates on the middle speed but not the slowest or fastest? The instructions say lots of the noises will subside after 24 hours.

I tried grabbing and bracing various parts of the fan while it's making the vibrating noise but nothing stops it. I also cut away the drywall from the electrical box so they don't touch so that can't be the problem. I grabbed the wires, the wireless transmitter but nothing helps. This is a brand new fan. Wonder if I got a dud.

Chances are at that speed the rotation of the fan excites the natural frequency of the fan. Most fans come with some balance lead tape you can add to the top of the blades and directions on how to do it. sometimes the slightest change will correct the problem.

It is the same reason when an army crosses a bridge they break step.

The bar is locked down tight and I haven't even attached the fan blades yet. i'm returning it and hoping for better luck with the next one.

Fans are not designed to run without the blades installed. There's no live load on the motor. Install the blades as Neil suggested. They have balancing kits to make fans run smooth.

I just 20 minutes ago put up a new ceiling fan and light kit in the bedroom. Installed the blades and it's running smooth, it can be done.

Back