Can I clean this shingle water stain?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenw232

Reaction score
Over the years the run off from an eves-trough over my shingles has created a permanent mark. Looks like a water stain as shown in my attachment. Question is can anything be done about this? Can I clean this stain somehow? CLR or something that removes it? It looks wet in the image but its not. Thats the problem.

water_stain_shingle.jpg

Also,, If you were to install a small piece of copper below the downspout on the roof,,it will eliminate the staining issue. It will remove the Lichen that grows on the shingle stones.

Also,, If you were to install a small piece of copper below the downspout on the roof,,it will eliminate the staining issue. It will remove the Lichen that grows on the shingle stones.

Is that specifically what makes it look like its still wet - Lichen?

Is that specifically what makes it look like its still wet - Lichen?

No, it's organic growth, Lichen, molds that appear to darken the shingles. Copper strips, or even zinc will provie wash off of the metal that's non-conducive to organic growth.

Last edited:
No, it's organic growth, Lichen, molds that appear to darken the shingles. Copper strips, or even zinc will provie wash off of the metal that's non-conducive to organic growth.

Yeah...what the Dog said...basically it kills off the growth...no more stain.:clap:
The copper lasts a bit longer with any acid rains, and also darkens in color with a nice patina. Its always my choice.

Latest posts

Back