Concerned about installation of gas logs

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LegendaryPunk

Reaction score
disclaimer - I know practically nothing about this subject matter, and will attempt to provide all relevant information, but if you need further details just ask and I'll do my best to provide them.

Hi all from Richmond, Virginia! Recently had some gas logs installed in our fireplace and...we're a little concerned that they might not be installed properly. And might also be a little scared of blowing up our house.

Is it a risk for the gas line insert to be located that high above the logs? When we voiced this concern during installation we were told, "I didn't have the tool to go through the floor, so I had to put it there."

It just looks like shoddy work, and we're completely unknowledgable about how to research building codes / permits. And honestly we don't even know if they had the proper permits to do such an installation. What should we be looking for to determine the quality of work done? We would like to call a county building inspector first thing Monday morning, but would like to be sure we have reason to do so first.

Please let me know what additional details you may need - thank you!

Pictures can be found here - https://imgur.com/a/BilDw

I am no expert also but I know I wouldn’t be satisfied with that install also. To me the gas line should have come from below or very low on the side. I am not certain what is code in this case, but we have some very good pipe fitters that should be along shortly with help. The ones I have seen are piped in with regular black pipe have a shut off valve and then switch to a rated flex line to the control unit.

I personally don’t care for the gas logs as they waste a lot of energy as they draw air from the room. If I had a fireplace and wanted a no mess form of heat that also had the look of a flame I think I would go with a gas insert with a glass front.

Sorry I couldn’t be more help and welcome to the forum.

Yvo9xAc.jpg

PMeg1Gs.jpg

:eek:

I am no expert either, but that install is wrong and dangerous.

* NG or LPG?

* Where is the shut-off valve for when not in use or emergency shut-off?

* Vented or non-vented logs?

* Is the hearth on a slab or can it be accessed from the basement (for proper plumbing)?

* Just exactly who did the install?

Last edited:
It is Natural Gas...shut off valve is in the floor beside the fireplace...ventless logs...no idea about the hearth, but almost positive it can be accessed from crawl space...Rick Godfrey and Sons of Richmond Va

Asking the contractor when the inspection is scheduled will probably be enough of a wake up call to get him interested. If he puts you off, schedule one yourself and tell him when it will take place.

Did your check clear yet?

The check has clearned and i dont think talking to them or "warning" them would do any good...i kept asking durign the install if the line was suppose to be ran that high and he said "i had to run it that high, i didnt have the right drill to run it lower". He already told me to "trust him" when i questioned the pipe size "i used the size that is used for most gas logs installs" when the manuel plainly states 1/2 pipe is recommended. They will just tell me whatever they want to make thier work seem right. I do not think these guys got a permit, so i guess to know for a fact, i could ask them when the inspector is comign now that the work is done......or i can just call the inspector on my own. For all i know this install will pass code, it just looks like a retarded blind man did the work, therefore, i am probably stuck.......

If they refuse to permit the installation or give you excuses for not doing so, you can call the building dept. and ask if a permit has been applied for, for the amending of the gas system and the installation of a gas log at your address.

If there is no record of an application, ask them how you can proceed because the installation differs from the mfg. illustration and that your concern is the safety of the installation.

5/23 Update - Thank you everyone for the help and advice thus far! We're going to contact the company tomorrow with our concerns...and see what happens. I'll provide an additional update later this week if more help is needed.

Thanks.

Often the art of diplomacy lies in the ability in masking your intensions.

If there is no record of an application, ask them how you can proceed because the installation differs from the mfg. illustration and that your concern is the safety of the installation.

GOD POINT!

Did the installer leave the OWNERS/INSTALL MANUAL(S)?

I would like to see their install directions.

Was the installer from the store you bought from?

Back