Fishing ethernet using existing siamese camera cable

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIYgub

Reaction score
I have some wiring in my house for analog security cameras. I'd like to replace that wire with ethernet cable. There was some slack on either end, but somewhere in the middle, the cable is pretty secure.

I climbed up into the attic and traced the wire across to an exterior wall (crawling truss-to-truss). The wire runs down and then it feels like there is some soft, spongy material that it is stuck in. This is likely some kind of spray foam I think, but I don't have a hope of seeing it because of where it is tucked.

Am I safe to take a screwdriver or something and trying to macerate that spongy stuff to see if I can get movement in the siamese cable? I'm unfortunately in a 4 year old home that is the nicest place I'll ever live and if I screw something up my wife will kill me. What are the risks on this? I don't want to pay somebody to come and do what I could do just because they're willing to take a risk on my house that I'm not willing to take.

You could take a chance, with the likelihood of damage being minimal, OR, convincing your wife into visiting her mother for a week, because you are concerned for, your, welfare, incase you screw up.;)

This exterior wall must have an interior, right ?
If it is faced with drywall, etc. you could cut out the correct section, do what needs to be done and patch a new piece in. If it is also stapled (as was mentioned), pulling could cause some real problems.

I was really hoping to avoid cutting holes in drywall. I know in the big scheme of things it's not a big deal, but I was hoping that existing cable would just be able to pull through.
If I decide to cut drywall, any preferences on hole location? floor, ceiling, right in the middle?

Back