Toilet sewer flange

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psadler

Reaction score
I'm trying to catch up and fix the shortcomings from a contractor's work on my bath remodel. I'm securing the toilet flange, but the hole for the PVC pipe is a bit large, and consequently a couple of the screws have little wood to grab onto if any. It's already glued together, so there is no chance of pulling this apart without cutting and starting all over.

I think I can increase the angle when drilling to gain more purchase. Any suggestions for filling the void for securing the screws? One picture shows the gap, and the second pictures hows how it will be aligned.

IMG_6778 (1).jpg

IMG_6779 (1).jpg

There is a crawl space below with access.

Also, it appears as though this flange should have been mounted below level for the tile? Otherwise the toilet will not sit flat and leave a gap?

So from below you could put a block of wood on each side to screw to with longer screws.
Before you do anything else set the toilet there and see if it sit on the floor.

Yes, that could work attaching to wood with long screws. I will need to get under to see what it all looks like.

I Just did sit the toilet in position and it appears to be resting on the flange and no contact with the floor. Is some gap normal? :(

No that sounds like you will have to cut the tile and lower it but I would take a photo of what it looks like from below and we can see if the flange will have to be replaced or just pushed down to fit.

I would advise against using wood under the toilet. You can find solid PVC 'lumber' if you need something beefy, or toilet shims (plastic) if you need just a bit of leveling.

Yes, that could work attaching to wood with long screws. I will need to get under to see what it all looks like.

I Just did sit the toilet in position and it appears to be resting on the flange and no contact with the floor. Is some gap normal? :(

You want to toilet to sit flush to the floor. The wax ring will fill the gap between the ring and the toilet. So your going to need to lower the flange.

I have had luck in removing glued in flanges (some heat - gun or torch, flat blade screwdriver, hammer and some patience).

If you have access from underneath, I'd run a pan head bolt, washer and loctited nut on the bottom side.

Last edited:

very normal, and expected.

that is a souix chief tko swivel flange.

the raised lip is a knock out, smack the raised lip with a hammer and remove it.

it had, a cap on top of it, that is missing, it is to keep trash out during construction.

the flange is designed to sit flush on the floor, you do not need to recess it.

http://www.siouxchief.com/products/drainage/residential/closet-flanges/tko?template=P3Video

Latest posts

Back