Stump and fence removal

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james27

Reaction score
All,

I recently had a tree removed, and after starting the work the company informed me they couldn't remove the stump due to the chain link fence running through the middle. I would really like to get this removed from my yard but not sure what my options are...Would a backhoe be able to dig it out? Would a bunch of small cuts to the stump/trunk remove enough wood to chisel out the fence? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1725.jpg

Most tree removal people now use a stump grinder and take the stump down to about 6” below grade and then you fill it with dirt and plant grass and in 20 years the stump will rot away so you can plant a tree there.

Yes it can be dug out with a good size back hoe or an excavator and you will have a huge hole to fill. You could also carefully whittle away at it with a chain saw and ax and sledgehammer with wedges and get the fence out and the stump grinder guy may come and do the rest. He would have to see there was no chance of any steel being left in the stump. Both the grinder and the chain saw don’t like hitting the steel and people in the profession don’t have the time to work around it. I have a friend that has a stump grinder and he is one of the few that chip away at something like that a little at a time to free a fence or pipe. The worst case is when they don’t know it is in there and they wreck the cutters. You can ask around you might find someone like him that doesn’t mind a challenge.

Another thing you could ask around about is someone with a big excavator and tell them it is no rush but when they are in your area could they dig it out and see if you could get a good price. You will then have to figure out how to get rid of it.

When I was a kid we used to build a big fire on a stump and burn it out. Don’t know if that’s an option or not where you live.

I don't see any fencing, just a fence rail.
Use a chainsaw and hachet to remove the pole and then call the tree company back to have it ground.

thanks for the quick replies. going to see what I can do this weekend.

60 minutes tops with a backhoe

Latest posts

Back