How do I tie a new switch into existing box?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobStrauss

Reaction score
I have an electric box above my kitchen sink for a pendant light (left switch on top), garbage disposal (left switch on bottom), and now I'd like to tie in undercabinet lighting (right switch not yet installed).

Here is the new switch I'd like to tie in on the right. It will run to my AC dimmer-compatible transformer for my lights:

IMG_4665.jpg

And here are the right and left sides of my existing left switch.

IMG_4666.jpg

IMG_4667.jpg

If I tie in my transformer directly to the left side of the existing switch, and the neutral to the other whites, it lights up fine. I'm just not sure how to wire it in using the dimmer.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Still having troubles.

Pigtailed the incoming hot (what was directly going to the left side of the existing switch) to the black on the new switch as well. Ran the red wire on the new switch to the black wire going to the light. Ran the neutrals together.

Not working. Everything else does as usual, but the new switch/light is not operating at all.

If I hardwire the transformer/light, it comes on like it should. So I'm sure that's not an issue.

Here's some pics of the way it is now:

IMG_4668.jpg

IMG_4669.jpg

IMG_4670.jpg

Oh, and yes, it's a single pole. All the switches in this box are single pole.

What do you mean by reverse the reds?

Use the one with the stripe instead of the solid?

Reverse their connections,IE., connect the RED/White to the Black going to the transformer and wirenut the solid RED.

Back