Stacked Stone

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsargentjr

Reaction score
Good morning to everyone. I hope you had a great Memorial Day weekend!

Here's the problem...

I have a water leak into the attic. I traced it the area of the roof around the chimney. I had a couple of roof repair people come look into it and they both said "ewwwww....stacked stone....tricky......hmmmmm". One of them put some additional caulk around it but it's still leaking.

My question is who do I call to look at a leaking stacked stone chimney? A mason? A general contractor? Or is this something I can do myself? The damage is going to require some additional work in the attic and in the roof sheathing as well.

Thanks,
Tom

Welcome to the site.
Can you post pictures of the flashing around the chimney.
And pictures of damage to the framing inside.

Stacked stone is very difficult to flash and because you have sheating damage as well the wood repairs may be within you ability, however how familiar are you with crickets and lead flashing.

The three areas of water intrusion on a chimney are the crown (top), the side walls or the flashing at the roof line. Any and all could be a problem. The biggest failure we see with stacked stone is improper installation. There has to be a water barrier behind the stone. I've actually looked in the cracks and seen plywood before. Then, at the roof line, through wall flashing should be installed. This type flashing is all to often overlooked.

Can you provide any photos of the chimney? How old is the installation?

And :welcome: to House Repair Talk!

Thanks for the replies!

I had a friend of mine (a mason) come by and look at it. We were in a hurry but what I remember him saying is that it looked like when they "cut" the hole out for the chimney, they cut into a joist so it appeared that the chimney was leaning. We are hoping to work on it this weekend so he's going to first knock some of the stone out and then I will get some pictures. I will be happy to share those.

It is great to have an outlet for information like this. Have a great weekend!

Tom

Back