Cover hole in roof.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nm555

Reaction score
I just bought a house where the previous occupant had a wood stove but took it when they left. They made an attempt at covering the hole before leaving but it is leaking. I plan to put another wood stove in but not for a couple months. What is an easy way to keep water out? I m considering buying a small sheet of tin and tucking one edge under a row of shingles above it then securing it some how, not sure yet. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
To be clear the roof is made of asphalt shingles. Also id like something more secure than a tarp

Last edited:
Welcome to the site. Shingle can only take so much abuse, I would sooner see a proper flashing for the chimney and a cap on that until you want to use it.

Since you have yet to purchase the installation material for your intended installation, just any roof jack may not fit, so p/u a piece of sheet metal 6" wider than the opening, using a flat bar loosen the seal tabs and pull the nail wide enough to insert the metal under 3 rows of shingles. On the first full row above the opening with the metal inserted just above the seal tabs, renal that row ow shingles and seal the other rows by applying roof mastic to the underside of the shingle edges where they intersect the sheet metal.

When you are ready to install the new furnace roof jack, just remove the nails from the upper row, pull the sheet metal and install.

Latest posts

Back