Does this tile job look professionally done?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdh

Reaction score
I'm currently remodeling my bathroom, including all new tile. I went into the bathroom today to see the work (I've been out of town) and am very unsatisfied. I'll attach some pictures of areas that bother me (grout lines are very uneven, some tiles sticking up etc.) Let me know what you all think. If I'm being unreasonable please let me know!

IMG_20160615_130121057.jpg

IMG_20160615_130056324.jpg

IMG_20160615_130042054.jpg

IMG_20160615_130149629.jpg

Thanks nealtw. I agree, it looks like I did it! Any other advice anyone else can offer is so much appreciated!

I guess it depends on how much you paid for it?

The tile guy is a subcontractor. I paid around 5k to rip out old shower and bathroom floor, replace some subflooring and textile everything. Bathroom is tiny, 12x5ft total.

It doesn’t matter what you paid for it I would expect you paid for a good tile job whatever the price.

The only exception would be if the tile guy said tell you what I have a guy that wants to learn how to lay tile and he’s never done it before I’ll give you a great deal on price if you except whatever you get. And you then say sure sounds great draw up a contract. Of course that didn’t happen.

Sometimes we see people that are too much looking for perfection and are unreal with what they expect. You are not one of them. You expected a quality job and that is not one and I hope you still owe him at least half the money and I wouldn’t be paying him.

Not pro work. I’m not a pro and I know I could do better.

The total price for all work was 5k. I'm in central NC to give you some perspective on cost. Regardless.....installing tile well or poorly doesn't cost anymore.

If they screwed up what we can see, the important part of the job is what we can't see, how well was that done?:mad:

The subfloor etc. was done very well. It was a different group of guys who really did an awesome job.

The contractor is sending the same tile guy out to pull the large grout lines out and cut tile to fill that gap. If it were you would you be happy with that?

The point is, that if you foolishly paid in full, in front, you have NO leverage.

You can complain and if the person does not have the integrity to admit the faults, your recourse is legal action and other that that, you can complain until the cows come home.

The other hand will get full first.

The contractor is sending the same tile guy out to pull the large grout lines out and cut tile to fill that gap. If it were you would you be happy with that?

NO, and neither should you.

What's that brown goop in some of inside corners.
Should have been color matching silicone caulking.
Which can also be bought sanded if that where the rest of the grout is.
Any slope to the drain?
Interesting way to do an outside corner in that last picture, not.

No, I paid half up front. Still owe the second half. Should I request the entire thing be re done? I dont want to prolong this any longer than its been already, but I want it done right.

That's a bonus, yet may be in violation of contractors license law, in your state.

Yes it should be removed and another sub, substituted.

If you have not, ask the contractor if that work would be acceptable in his house, and if the answer is yes, demand a full refund and find someone else.

Time is not on your side, just don't sacrifice quality for expediency.

I got a level to check for slope to the drain. There are two distinct high spots where water will pool. I am demanding to meet with the contractor at my house to show him the crappy work. My request will be for the entire job to be redone with a different sub, or he will be fired and not recieve the second half of the payment.

Thats a piss poor tile job. I did tile for years and would be embarrassed to leave a house like that.

Latest posts

Back