Plywood spacing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Estpaul

Reaction score
What is the recommendation for spacing when putting 1/2'' plywood down over subfloor planks? 1/4'' around walls and 1/8'' between sheets or just butt plywood sheets together?

You need to give some clearance for expansion and contraction between the boards, and I would imagine that 1/8" would suffice. I normally simply use nails spaced evenly thus creating about 1/8" of spacing between the boards

You need to give some clearance for expansion and contraction between the boards, and I would imagine that 1/8" would suffice. I normally simply use nails spaced evenly thus creating about 1/8" of spacing between the boards

1/8 on wall edges too? What about fastners in the field every 4 inches?

1/8 on wall edges too? What about fastners in the field every 4 inches?
Yeah, on wall edges the same gap applies. On the edges probably every 6 inches, and elsewhere (non-edge) about every 12"

I agree with the ⅛" between sheets, but have never seen any instructions that say ⅛" is good enough for perimeter gaps. I say minimum ¼".

Jaz

I agree with the ⅛" between sheets, but have never seen any instructions that say ⅛" is good enough for perimeter gaps. I say minimum ¼".

Jaz

What do you say for gap on base plate from drywall to floor?

Drywall to floor spacing, ¾" or so.

Jaz

Any recommendations on fastners ring shank nails or screws? Also what size?

1 1/4" will work too, should be able to find bigger package for better price.

Thanks. One last question, sorry this stuff is a no brainer for most, but my first time doing any reno's. Should the fastners be 2'' in from edge of plywood?

Thanks. One last question, sorry this stuff is a no brainer for most, but my first time doing any reno's. Should the fastners be 2'' in from edge of plywood?

I would be closer to the edge but that might be habit more than a rule.
You will be running the sheets across the joists and if the edge of the sheet lands on a joint of the sub floor the sheet should be trimmed so the new joint does not line up. The end joints from one row should not line up with the end joints of the next row.

It's been a long time but I think the joints do not want to land on a joist.

I would be closer to the edge but that might be habit more than a rule.
You will be running the sheets across the joists and if the edge of the sheet lands on a joint of the sub floor the sheet should be trimmed so the new joint does not line up. The end joints from one row should not line up with the end joints of the next row.

It's been a long time but I think the joints do not want to land on a joist.

Thanks fire the help. Plywood is fastened down and was a pain in the ***. Some screws just wouldn't countersink and just spun. Even in the areas I replaced broken planks so some spots I just had to keep drilling till one grabbed and countersunk.

yeOBkgu.jpg

See those cracks between the boards below, not enough there to grab a screw. :thbup:

Check for squeaks, it's those screws that don't tighten up that rub on things and make noise.

See those cracks between the boards below, not enough there to grab a screw. :thbup:

Check for squeaks, it's those screws that don't tighten up that rub on things and make noise.

I thought it was the gaps too, but i tried re drilling inches over/up/down/sideways from where the screws wouldn't tighten down and the same thing. I tried a few test spots on the planks themselves, some screws grabbed some would just not tighten down like the hole striped out.

Soft spots in the lumber?:confused::)

I dunno but the only other option I can think of is to try ring shank nails with a nail gun. Going to do that tonight and see if it works. You can see where I got frustrated and couldn't get them to counter sink.
nWMuf08.jpg

If you are nailing , nail on an angle (toe nail), even if they don't bit good they won't wiggle up.

Back