Help with framing basement wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Sivi

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was hoping someone can guide me in the right direction. I dont have much experiences fixing up a house let along tackling a basement on my own. But im sure with your help, ill be able to figure this out. My question is - do i need to add insulation on top of the insulation already installed? Or should i just frame it with 2×4 and slap on the sheet rock without insulation? See image for more details. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you want to build a full height flat wall or build a ledge just above the foundation height.

What's the benefits between the two? I was thinking the full height and keeping the insulation the way it is. Build the frame and drywall it. Leave maybe and 1 inch off the back for running electric wires. Would that work?

Is there a sticky thread for the basics on how to frame? Maybe a link that i should read up on first before asking any more questions. I hate to ask questions that already have answers too. Also thanks for the reply.

I have covered it before but i doubt I could find it.
I like going from ceiling own more than building a dust collector but that's just me.
Where ever you can you want to fire stop the wall so if you had a fire in the wall it takes time to get to the floor system.
So you start at the top with a 2x6 or 2x8 against the wood top plate, what ever is tight against that top plate and be far enough out so you can build a 2x4 wall on the inside edge and have the 1" gap behind it.
On the side walls and the jog in the last photo you will have nothing to nail to so you start with some short blocks between the first joist and the rim joist, a block ever 2 or 3 ft is fine.
On inside corners like the jog will have, end one piece at the corner and bring the other one out past to match the inside.
Once you have that, use a plumb bob or a level and straight edge to mark the corners on the floor and use a chalk line to join the marks to designate the wall on the floor.
The 2x4 that goes on the floor wants to be protected from the concrete with sill gasket or tar paper or poly.
Your choice 16 or 24" on center.
Your choice to add a second top plate depending on the length of studs you are using.
Up here we use finger jointed studs where they stick all their short pieces together, because the are dry and straight.
2 studs on each side of the window, builders want them lined up with the window framing and often home owners want that enlarged a little for drapes and things but it adds to the drywall filling.

Latest posts

Back