Ancient Glass Door Frame

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texastalk

Reaction score
Hello all!
I was looking for some assistance, tips, or tricks on this problem. I've got this ancient old glass sliding door (it's an odd size, so hasn't been replaced). One day it stopped sliding easily and took all of my strength to nudge it enough to wedge out.

I looked around the edge of the door and the frame on door that slides has come apart, with the roller also detached. When I try and push the top slider back in, it stops about 3-4 inches from being flush and won't budge. As long as I can get the frame flush again and insert the roller, we'll get good to go.

http://imgur.com/uoV2d2B

I'd rather not have to take off the door completely as it is high-summer, but any advice is appreciated!

Thank you!

You'll need to get it back together and install the frame screws.

Eventually, you'll need to take it out of the frame to repair it correctly.

Yeah. What I am stumped on is what could be blocking that upper rail from sliding all the way over? Does fixing that seem hopeless without taking the door off?

It is easier to remove it from the frame, stand it on edge and reassemble.

WD 40 makes the gasket slip right in.

Most models are assembled with #6 by 1-1/4" phillips head sheetmetal screws, which may be stripped. You can use #8's or squeeze the thread channel slightly.

If there are rollers both top and bottom there should also be #8's to adjust the rollers.

Looks like an aluminum frame. You should be looking forward to replacing that door as it's insulation value is poor. The guys here will help you resize the doorway to fit a standard door.

Latest posts

Back