Adding a gable roof

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marciaw

Reaction score
Hi! We're planning to build a new and slightly larger front porch this fall. I really want a gable roof (timber frame) over the porch but my husband isn't sure that's possible the way the house is built. He's concerned with snow sitting in the valleys. We live in northwestern Ontario so that's a legitimate concern. :) Any suggestions on how we could pull this off? Thanks.

image.jpg

Can you do a sketch of what you think it would look like and post that?
And welcome to the site.

Given the pitch of your roof, I doubt snow moves off it anyway. I'm not an architect, but given the gable you already have another straight on gable roof would look odd. I think a way to make it look right would be to come off the house at a 45 degree angle and redo the front steps. This Old House has a feature in their magazine where they do photo real make-overs of houses. You might try submitting a picture to them.

Otherwise I think you need to talk with an architect. It would probably work better if your roof was steeper though.

We've done them here with a wall straight up above the house wall and match the height of the peak instead of the heal height with the cricket up the side and lots of ice shield.
The other option would be the new timber framed truss across the whole front to include the front porch and have a truss company build those funky jacks to sit on the roof but that would raise the peak above the one toward the back.

Latest posts

Back