Why is my AC not working?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjohn1324

Reaction score
I removed the top panel to clean the indoor coils. I also removed the gas vent. I tried to run the AC with these off, but it didn't work.

I assumed it didn't work because the stuff was taken off.

But when I put it back on, it still doesn't work, even when the fan is set to on the fan doesn't blow.

Some units have a safety interlock. Are all the screws back in and all the panels seated properly?

Some units have a safety interlock. Are all the screws back in and all the panels seated properly?

Where could I see this safety interlock?

The screws and panels are not all back in, but it worked when they were slightly ajar, just not off all the way.

When I put the panel back on, it didn't work.

I'm not a HVAC tech, but it could be a screw, it could be a key that fits into a slot when the panel is in properly. Posting the brand name, model number and approximate age might help get more specific answers.

Rheem Prestige Series Super Quiet 80 Two-Stage

Model RCFL - HM4824AC

Manufactured in 2008.

There is a switch on one of the doors to the furnace.

The door of the furnace is closed. I also tried manually pushing the button when it was off with the fan set to on. No luck.

Any next troubleshooting steps? I nicked the wire coming from the thermostat. I don't think I hit it enough to disrupt electricity flow, but it's possible.

The thermostat is on.

There should be a light switch close by that turns everything off. If all switches are in correct position, You will have check for power at each to see if power is getting to the switch and then thru it.

There should be a light switch close by that turns everything off. If all switches are in correct position, You will have check for power at each to see if power is getting to the switch and then thru it.

That worked. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back