How do I replace cabinets with dishwasher?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjohn1324

Reaction score
I took out one of my cabinet units to replace with a dishwasher.

The cabinet unit measures 30 wide, 24 deep, 34.5 tall.

The dishwashers at Home Depot are not this exact dimension. What's my hope for getting a dishwasher in there?

IMG_20160827_145105259.jpg

IMG_20160827_145115444.jpg

IMG_20160827_145119499.jpg

Which dimension(s) do not fit and by how much?

The dishwasher is 6 inches too short on width, almost two inches too long on depth (but that's probably okay), and the height is good.

The depth is probably okay, but the width is the issue.

May require a trim board on each side to makeup the difference. Or install a custom made narrow cookie sheet unit cabinet in corner. The drain/hot wtr supply usually go through the rear sides of the other cabinets... DW is one of the last units to install.

Gary
PS don't forget to remove the base floor trim before cabinets.

Last edited:
Okay. I got a dishwasher that will fit.

1. There is no easy way to hook up the outlet water to the houses plumbing system. It is on the opposite side of the kitchen as the sink.

2. There is a black and white wire that is the power. I have a 120 volt outlet right where I want to put it. How do I connect the two wires to a 120 volt cord?

Last edited:
Normally the dish washer sits next to the sink cabinet and the supply water and waste water connect to the sinks. Just from the standpoint of loading it you want it next to the sink as well.

You may also need to ground the dishwasher/plug... I ran my DW across from the sink (6' away) with the standard drain hose under the floor, in the crawlspace to hook it at the garbage disposal outlet built for that purpose, then a loop or vent at sink, check local AHJ for that. The water shut off to the unit is under the sink as well. Read the unit plumbing/wiring installation instructions... Google wiring a DW...

Gary

Back