Leaning //// wall correction

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thematrixiam

Reaction score
Hi guys!

Fixing up my mobile home. It was built back in the 70s.
I noticed after ripping the paneling off my kitchen that the studs on the end of the house are all leaning to the right ///////.

Any one know how to fix this?

I has seen a couple videos that use comealongs to pull the wall staight. They don't really go into much detail about the how or precautions.

I was thinking I would try that and then beef it up with either plywood or horizontal studs.

If you could post a few photos I think some of the guys will have some advice.

Also how much are they leaning?

The sheeting on the outside should have held them square.
What is the sheeting on the outside, I will be looking for photos.
Find a straight stud that will reach from the top and bottom plate on the side wall and with a level check it for plumb to see how far out it is.
Will you be fixing or saving the floor in that area.

I question whether these guys just built it crooked.

Using a tape it's 25 1/4" at top 27 3/4 on bottom on one stud ( the one by the outlet on the right side. That's measuring off of the far stud on the right side).

both the edge studs are level.

The floor will be kept.

20160829_094354.jpg

the outside is OSB (3/8 I believe). I added extra framing to beef up and frame out larger the outside. All new OSB in that area. I also reused some metal angles that help support that ledge you see. After which I framed around them to make it flush. Before they were just out in the open.

You can't see any of that now because it's all finished on the outside with new siding.

Someone just nailed the stud on the wrong side of the line.
I would have liked to see a header over the opening in the main wall, but depending on roof and ceiling structure it may not have been needed.

You think they messed up the first one, and then just continued with the mess up on the next? It's hard to tell because there aren't that many full studs. Only the side ones are straight, all the others are off level.

That opening also has a 1/4 " gap on the top right, and a 1/4" gap on the bottom left.

You think it's fine the way it is?

There a few ways this can happen.

When they built this they had the top and bottom plates tacked together and laid it out from one side then the separate them and put studs in between and nail them.
If the lay out man didn't put an X beside the line, he has left it for guess work.

But as the window is centered making the wall the same on both side they may have mistakenly switched one of those plates end for end.
You can check that by comparing distance to first stud top and bottom and compare to the first stud top and bottom on other side.

Just check the window opening is plump and shrug your shoulders because to fix anything now would require access to the osb on the outside.

It is not like the stud wall is holding a second floor. Someone screwed up and just kept going by the looks of it. I would cover it back up and in a few months you will forget about it and it will look perfect.

Nice job on the outside.

thanks.

I'll just leave it as is. Still going to frame out that opening a little better to match up with the new window though.

Latest posts

Back