Is this a standard gas control valve?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinny186

Reaction score
My WH started to leak so I bought a replacement. My concern is that the new one won't have the extra connector that the one in the pic has. It has a Tjernlund fan inducer attached to help exhaust the water heater through the chimney. I don't want to open the new WH if it has a different control valve than my old A.O. Smith had because I'm not sure how I would attach the Tjernlund control module.

So to break it down: the a.o. has the thermocoupler, main burner supply and pilot supply PLUS the extra connector - is that connector standard on all units?

wh1.jpg

wh2.jpg

Follow up question. Two days ago I noticed just a tiny bit of water (like a bead of caulk placed along tiles) around a third of the base of the tank. I wiped it up and a day later the same amount reappeared so I didn't bother drying it. I checked again today and the water has dried up. What gives?

Neal, are you saying that's what I have?

Neal, disregard my last question - I know that part to the right of the gas valve is part of the Tjernlund system. My question is do all hot water gas valves come with that extra copper connector in front of the pilot supply?

thermocoupler, pilot feed, main burner supply and the fourth connector? Is it standard on all water heaters?

I think the vacuum switch is new and I would guess it wants to read neg pressure near the flame to be sure you have a draft.
Now I am just guessing.:)

Any new water heater will come with all necessary components to operate. Exhaust blower and safety switches. They don't all utilize the same technique to proof before fire so your new one won't have this technology but will be achieving the same results.

Talked to a guy at HD who said it was a unique heater due to the extra copper connector. Without the extra connector there would be no way of attaching the sensor from the fan inducer that was installed on my old WH. I ended up choosing a power vent unit from a local plumber which won't require the Tjerlund unit. Thanks for the replies:)

Back