Choosing Composite Decking help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewdin

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am in the process of building a deck and I have been looking around at PVC and composite decking options. I have narrowed down between Azek, Timber Teck and I could be talked into Fiberon.

Does anyone have any gotchas or recomendations? The deck will be in direct sunlight so I am worried about it being very hot, also do I have to worry about having a grill on it or near the railings? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the help!

I did a Trex deck a few years ago. Whatever decking you use go for a bottom side attachment method, You don't want to see fasteners through your deckboards. Also with composite and PVC decking any irregularities in the framing are amplified so make sure your crowns area all up on the joists, and try to have the crowns line up.

I used the lighter brown decking and didn't find it any hotter than wood decking. You'll want to keep some distance between the grill and the railings when using the grill, probably about a foot will be enough. Also, put a mat under the grill to keep any stray drippings off the deck.

And be careful about over spanning on the joists, if the MFG says 16" centers, make sure you have 16" centers. I've seen applications when the span was incorrect and sagging occurred between the joints.

Olddog makes a good point. With Trex the span is reduced if you put the boards on the diagonal.

Read the Manufacturing instructions..its that simple. Some Plastic deck boards are just junk anyway. If you do diagonal, some need to be 12 inches on center because the diagonal makes the deck span more than 16 inches... just read the Directions...umm..unless your a real man...:trophy:

Read the Manufacturing instructions..its that simple. Some Plastic deck boards are just junk anyway. If you do diagonal, some need to be 12 inches on center because the diagonal makes the deck span more than 16 inches... just read the Directions...umm..unless your a real man...:trophy:

I think they all need 12" for angles

Research your choices on the web; eg.https://books.google.com/books?id=K...er or same temperature as a wood deck&f=false

Most of the composites will support many times more than minimum code requires, but watch the joint shrinkage. And be sure to have manufacturers required distance under it for air flow because of the 50% wood dough used like to mold when wet (Trex and Timber-tech, pp.12; https://books.google.com/books?id=K...tdoor decking temperatures wood deck&f=false

Gary
PS remember heat from a grill rises and could scorch paint or melt plastic if too close.

Last edited:
thanks for the tips! I didn't think about slippery in the winter

Latest posts

Back