OTR venting

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edolsonhelifreak

Reaction score
We were given a Samsung 30" MW as a housewarming gift. IT would be replacing a Crown vent hood. Problem is the vent hood has a round hole in the center of the cabinet above it for outside venting. It works pretty good as is. When I went to install the MW I noticed the vent on the top of the MW is near the rear and is rectangular.
I can cut the rect. square hole for the MW vent but need to know what vent or adaptor I may need to plumb it with the existing duct work.

20160809_173036.jpg

20160809_173027.jpg

20160809_173016.jpg

20160809_173005.jpg

20160809_172957.jpg

20160809_093628.jpg

20160809_093612.jpg

Welcome to the site
Fittings like this are available in big box stores just measure what you have, just make sure the round end is crimped so it fits inside the flex duct.
Did you get the back bracket and instructions on where to drill holes.

$91.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks nealtw!

I saw one of those at HD but it was enormous in size....I assume the type you posted comes in various sizes. Should I fashion a "plate" to use as was with the round one in the 4th and 5th pics above?

And yes, there is a mounting bracket and a template for the holes. I am very excited about this MW but am concerned that it will only give me about 15" or so from top of range to bottom of MW....and we have gas. I often wonder if this is enough space and "overhead coverage" to still facilitate cooking easily and to capture enough heat/fumes/grease than I would from just using a vent hood.

I have a feeling this will all boil down to aesthetics at the end of the day.

Thanks again! Will keep you posted...and of course, pic to follow...success or fail.

Last edited:
Thanks nealtw!

I saw one of those at HD but it was enormous in size....I assume the type you posted comes in various sizes. Should I fashion a "plate" to use as was with the round one in the 4th and 5th pics above?

And yes, there is a mounting bracket and a template for the holes. I am very excited about this MW but am concerned that it will only give me about 15" or so from top of range to bottom of MW....and we have gas. I often wonder if this is enough space and "overhead coverage" to still facilitate cooking easily and to capture enough heat/fumes/grease than I would from just using a vent hood.

I have a feeling this will all boil down to aesthetics at the end of the day.

Thanks again! Will keep you posted...and of course, pic to follow...success or fail.

People quote code from 13 to 18 inches, I am not sure what it really is or if it is an area thing, but when push comes to shove, follow the instillation instructions.
The fan in these things are much better than your hood fan so that is not a concern. It is more about that big stew pot you like to have on the back burner.

If you have space above the cupboards you can always raise that box a few inches and add a crown molding around that.
You should have got a flapper that screws to the top of the unit and the correct size boot shout fit out side of that. Take it with you when you go shopping.
The quick fix for the round hole is just a piece of white shelving from HD cut to 12 x 34 1/2 or ?? and screw it on top of the floor of that cupboard. And then cut your new holes.

I spent way to much time in a code book..
Not only do they make it hard to find but they right gobly gook too
So a cupboard should be 30" above the range
Except when it is protected like with a hood then it can be 24"
So you need the cupboard to be at 30"
the MW is around 17" so your clearance is about 13"
So 15" is better than most. :p

The problem is the plastic components of the MW being too close to the heat. Over time you will have failures of handles and trim pieces if it is mounted lower than Mfr's specs.

Back