DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > height of drywall and finished floor

Old 04-05-2007, 01:14 PM  
marklevinson1

Default height of drywall and finished floor

Hi,

I have been remodeling my kitchen for the past year having stripped it down to the studs. I have completed the plumbing, electrical and gas and have just finished all the insulation and am now ready for the drywall. The kitchen had an 8ft ceiling.

I currently have a 1/2" of subfloor down now. I plan on adding another 5/8" of plywood to the subfloor, a layer of cement board and then tile. I figure about 2 inches higher than what I have now. I had wanted to do the drywall before the tile because of the mess, of course. I am just confused as to the height of the drywall. I just measured from my current subfloor to the ceiling joist and that just happens to measure 96" now before any drywall is on the ceiling or any flooring has been put down. I also know i need to keep the drywall off the floor by about a 1/2".

I am not sure how to go about this? Which should I do first? The drywall or the floor. If I do the drywall first, how do I ensure I cut it to the right height before the flooring goes in? It would seem that I will have to cut down all my drywall to fit the reduced height of my kitchen. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2007, 05:18 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome to the Forum Mark:
Yes, you will need to cut the drywall off to allow for the existing ceiling and the floor. Calculate the exact amount to be added to the floor and add 1/2"; that is the amount you will need to take off each sheet. I would still want to do the walls first, so it is a big help to have a flat bar and a block to use as a fulcrum. That way you can stand on the bar to hold the sheet up to the ceiling until you get several screws in it to hold it up.
The space under the drywall will give you a 1/2" cushion on cutting the tile.
Glenn

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply