Fluctuating Water Pressure

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pikepc

Reaction score
I live in a small town on a municipal water system. A couple of months ago, I came home and took a shower and the water pressure would go from weak to strong about every second. I thought the wife was doing laundry but no. I've been having this problem with water pressure since then, not just on the shower, but everywhere. I thought it was a problem with the city water at first, but no. I've had the meter replaced (one of those new electric ones that is read wirelessly), but that didn't help. Any ideas?

It could be a loose seal in the gate valve, which can be repaired, once the meter is shut off.

The meter only measures volume used you need to know what pressure you are getting

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br5D_tx_YVI[/ame]

It could be a loose seal in the gate valve, which can be repaired, once the meter is shut off.
I'm not sure if I have a gate valve. Forgive my ignorance, but if I had one, where would it be located?

There's a water spicket outside right by the meter. The city worker checked the pressure there and it was fine (don't remember what it was).

Did he watch it while someone took a shower and said the pressure had changed?

I'm not sure if I have a gate valve. Forgive my ignorance, but if I had one, where would it be located?

There should be a valve close to the point the water line enters the dwelling and it should resemble one of these;http://www.finehomebuilding.com/2012/11/08/whats-the-difference-shutoff-valves-ball-gate-and-globe

You may have the 1st or 3rd, which either of could cause the symptom you are experiencing.

Change the position of the valve by turning it either way to see if the flow is affected.

The third example is, "generally", the most common. The second is what is what is most often used as a replacement and are far more fail-safe.

There should be a valve close to the point the water line enters the dwelling and it should resemble one of these;http://www.finehomebuilding.com/2012/11/08/whats-the-difference-shutoff-valves-ball-gate-and-globe

You may have the 1st or 3rd, which either of could cause the symptom you are experiencing.

Change the position of the valve by turning it either way to see if the flow is affected.

The third example is, "generally", the most common. The second is what is what is most often used as a replacement and are far more fail-safe.
Thanks so much for your help on this. There's a cut off valve out at the meter that resembles either the first or the third one. Would that be it? It's been there as long as we've lived here (about 23 years) and the handle is broke so we have to turn it with pliers to shut off the water to the house. If it needs a gasket or repair, I don't know how you'd cut off the water to repair it without maybe cutting water to the whole street.

Latest posts

Back