Hidden Fasteners vs Face Nailing?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewdin

Reaction score
I am in the process of purchasing some Azek Decking, Now I have to figure out which way I am going to fasten them.

So far I'm thinking of using either the cortex Hidden fastener system that is a face nail and plug or the CONCEALLoc fasteners that hook into the grooves of the decking.

Does anyone have experience or recommend one over the other? My Carpenter said he prefers the Cortex because the wood feels more secured to the framing and he has seen some decks feel bouncy when the CONCEALLok have been used.

I also spoke to the local building supply place who echoed the same thing.

http://www.lowes.com/pd/AZEK-CONCEA...k-Hidden-Fasteners-85-sq-ft-Coverage/50381534

http://www.fastenmaster.com/products/cortex-hidden-fastening-system-decking.html

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

A couple of comments;
As for the "bouncy" effect, pick and crown your lumber, you are the customer and don't have to accept "what-ever they give you."
The advantage of the cortex system lies in the ease with which damage can be repaired/replaced.
I see a disadvantage in the amount of "maybe" material you need to remember what you did with, as well as the aesthetics of loose or missing plugs.

Because I select my own lumber, I have used the concel system exclusively.

Good point about missing plugs, I was wondering how good they stay in. Have you seen them come out a lot?

Because I use the other system, it's not been something I've experienced.

Being prudent and believing that what can go wrong will............

Just from a labor perspective I would go with the CONCEALLoc. With the other, screw, set plug and make sure the grain aligns and make sure all the fasteners line up. I can understand why your carpenter likes the Cortex, you must be paying him buy the hour.
I did SS trim head screws for my last that had to be pre-drilled and I would never go with face fasteners again, for look as much as labor.

Last edited:
I will be helping the Carpenter with the install and its not by the hour so I know he's not trying to screw me, no pun intended! I did see the Cortex are self tapping so we don’t need to pre-drill.

I see the benefit in both and it looks like you have to use the cortex when picture framing anyway. Maybe ill do the combo of conceallok in the center.

any other gotchas to be aware of?

Being "self drilling" cuts a threaded hole.

Does the head of the cortex look like the threaded shank of the fastener?

Is the pug threaded?

Back