Flashing on top of a joist?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewdin

Reaction score
I have been reading that water can accumulate between composite/PVC decking and wood framing, the composite/PVC causes the water from drying fast and can rot joists faster.

Would it be worth using a flashing tap on top of the joists? Should I use metal or rubber flashing? I saw that asphalt flashing can cause discoloration of the PVC and composite products.

What have you used if any?

Thanks

I think it's potentially an issue on a deck that doesn't get a lot of sun. Mine was on the north side of my house and I had some left over ice shield that I used on mine. I had a few feet of decking on before before I realized I could see some of the white lettering between the deck boards. After that I made sure to use just black pieces.
If you don't want to use that you could also brush on some good water seal on the tops of the joists.

Last edited:
Ice and water shield is a great choice as it will seal to an extent around nail or fastener penetrations.

I was also reading to put a sealer on the endgrain of the PT, is that overkill? if so i'm in

A quart of end grain treatment is plenty for a deck.
2" wide tar paper on top of the joists all hangers fasteners and flashing are galvanized steel

Back