Removing trees for better growth of other trees

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums...9-B342-409A-A4BC-BE20B0BF2CA6_zpsts8hkblr.jpg

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums...A-032B-4B79-A53F-1EF624A30D0D_zpsetwuryrf.jpg

I have 2 maple trees that are on either end of the pine trees. The one maple is doing fine, but the other one is almost completely surrounded by the pine tree.

I would like both maples to flourish and still have the pines between them. Would taking out the pine closest to the maple allow the maple to flourish? How can I make it so that once the pine is down that the other pines fill in the gap?

If the fire hydrant is on the property line, you might not own the trees.
Where I live a permit is required and you have have a good reason for the city arborist on our own property. It's a new green thing..

A lot depends on what kind of pine tree is next to it. Not all pines grow the same. First identify the tree, then you can look up the average height and width of the species. You can also consider the age of the tree ( both the maple and the nearest pine) and decide which one will grow the fastest. The maple may be able to overtop the pine and that will slow down the pine's growth.

If the fire hydrant is on the property line, you might not own the trees.
Where I live a permit is required and you have have a good reason for the city arborist on our own property. It's a new green thing..

This question is not a "can I?" but more of a "Should I?" Once I answer - should I - I will then ask for permission from the city, as, yes, it is city property.

A lot depends on what kind of pine tree is next to it. Not all pines grow the same. First identify the tree, then you can look up the average height and width of the species. You can also consider the age of the tree ( both the maple and the nearest pine) and decide which one will grow the fastest. The maple may be able to overtop the pine and that will slow down the pine's growth.

They are likely close to the same age, but the pine grows better in our climate. I think when they originally planted the trees they were not thinking much about spacing.

Around here the city could care less about trees on your property or the right of way connecting to your property and the cities. It is still a good idea to check.

As to the trees they look healthy and growing fine and trees will do fine jammed together and competing for light. That is what they do in nature and in the forest. The dominate tree will eventually win and the others will die off. In the mean time you get half trees and not the best looking specimens. Mass plantings of pines is common as they grow fast and provide privacy and eventually cause a problem and cost a lot to get them taken out. Some people plant them close to get quicker coverage and then have plans to thin them before the problems start. Almost no one ever actually does it though.

I would say something has to go unless you like the look and want nature to take its course. If it was me I would keep the two end pines and cut all the rest down. The maple on the left is too close to your building and the one on the right looks to be too engulfed in the pine. The other choice would be to keep the pine on the left and the maple on the right if you want one of each. Some people would cut them all down and plant smaller scale slower growing trees there like a crabapple or dogwood etc.

One thing to think about with trees and any power lines is once they get into the lines the power company is going to hack them away and most of the time make the tree heavy on one side and ugly. I don’t see any lines near yours so they will let them alone till they hit the street or they need to dig up the right of way.

Around here the city could care less about trees on your property or the right of way connecting to your property and the cities. It is still a good idea to check.

As to the trees they look healthy and growing fine and trees will do fine jammed together and competing for light. That is what they do in nature and in the forest. The dominate tree will eventually win and the others will die off. In the mean time you get half trees and not the best looking specimens. Mass plantings of pines is common as they grow fast and provide privacy and eventually cause a problem and cost a lot to get them taken out. Some people plant them close to get quicker coverage and then have plans to thin them before the problems start. Almost no one ever actually does it though.

I would say something has to go unless you like the look and want nature to take its course. If it was me I would keep the two end pines and cut all the rest down. The maple on the left is too close to your building and the one on the right looks to be too engulfed in the pine. The other choice would be to keep the pine on the left and the maple on the right if you want one of each. Some people would cut them all down and plant smaller scale slower growing trees there like a crabapple or dogwood etc.

One thing to think about with trees and any power lines is once they get into the lines the power company is going to hack them away and most of the time make the tree heavy on one side and ugly. I don’t see any lines near yours so they will let them alone till they hit the street or they need to dig up the right of way.

I have a few good things that may change your thinking.

1) That building is coming down in the spring when I build a garage behind the trees.
2) There are no power lines to be concerned about. They are at the front/back of the house, so no risk of hitting anything.

My goal, if I have one is that the 2 maples flourish. The pines can be filler. I can leave them as is.

Not trying to quibble here, but I think Bud's point was that a full size maple that close to the house - or your new garage - is going to do a lot of damage when it comes down....as trees are known to do occasionally. Of course the trees are young now and it will be years before they are big enough to hurt things.

Not trying to quibble here, but I think Bud's point was that a full size maple that close to the house - or your new garage - is going to do a lot of damage when it comes down....as trees are known to do occasionally. Of course the trees are young now and it will be years before they are big enough to hurt things.

By then I hope to be long gone.....

Back