Backyard makeover

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
Fall has it's grip on this area. Makes me think of spring and one of my future projects - my backyard.

I want to close it in and make it more of a retreat than a stage for the neighbours to see everything I do.

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums...2-EABB-4564-8AF3-4C8423074205_zpszv42bxxg.jpg

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums...E-D7A0-4C55-AF1F-2A2BB558D432_zpsqttptw7n.jpg

These are the current pictures of it.

Here is my plan:
1) the railing of the deck will have those 1x1s installed by summer.
2) The rack and boats will be gone - I am building a garage and they will be stored inside it.
3) A fence around the yard. Also, dress up the neighbours fence with lattice on the top. I have discussed this, and as long as I pay for it, they are happy with me doing it.
4) Beside the deck, I plan to get a hot tub.
5)In front of the deck, I plan to have a lower deck that is big enough to put a gazebo on and then have my outdoor table there.(the mosquitoes are THAT big...)
6) I want a patio with a fire pit in the middle with a bench and chairs around it.
7) Along the fence, I want to have a raised garden.
8) The BBQ will remain on the deck, with easy access to the house.

So, with all that work, I have a lot of questions.

1) Is there a website that can help me lay this all out so I can plan on costs and what to get?
2) Where would you suggest the gate be put?
3) How big of a lower deck should I do?
4) Should I just put pavers instead of grass?
5) How do I build a raised garden so that I do not damage the fence or have grass or weeds grow between the fence and the raised garden?

Any other thoughts on my spring project?

Between the fence and raised garden, before you build the garden, dig out the top soil apply heavy landscape fabric and build your garden and throw a little grave between it and the fence.

Treated wood decks built close to the ground seem to have a shorter life than the ones that are off the ground. Much more structure would be needed if you are putting the hot tub on the deck.

You could put the tub on the ground and build the deck around it, but if you ever have trouble with it, that design is a pain in the ***.

Just some thoughts until you find that program.

Between the fence and raised garden, before you build the garden, dig out the top soil apply heavy landscape fabric and build your garden and throw a little grave between it and the fence.

Treated wood decks built close to the ground seem to have a shorter life than the ones that are off the ground. Much more structure would be needed if you are putting the hot tub on the deck.

You could put the tub on the ground and build the deck around it, but if you ever have trouble with it, that design is a pain in the ***.

Just some thoughts until you find that program.

The lower deck would be about a foot off the ground. The hot tub would sit on top of the lower the deck.

The lower deck would be about a foot off the ground. The hot tub would sit on top of the lower the deck.

The structure below the deck would be almost sitting on the ground.
You might be better to build a perimeter out of Allan block fill that up with sand or graver and use pavers.

If you want a dropped height hot tub the best height is not flush with the deck. When you go tub shopping notice the height from the top step to the rim of the tubs. That’s the best height and if you want a sunken tub leaving that much above works best for a lot of reasons. Getting in and out, opening the cover, keeping snow clear without someone stepping on the cover or putting snow there, etc.

The structure below the deck would be almost sitting on the ground.
You might be better to build a perimeter out of Allan block fill that up with sand or graver and use pavers.

Please look at the picture again. I have a window under the deck that is almost flush with the fill.
Doing what you suggest would mean that I could have a risk of a flood coming into my basement.

If you want a dropped height hot tub the best height is not flush with the deck. When you go tub shopping notice the height from the top step to the rim of the tubs. That’s the best height and if you want a sunken tub leaving that much above works best for a lot of reasons. Getting in and out, opening the cover, keeping snow clear without someone stepping on the cover or putting snow there, etc.

I will be getting a used one. I had one at my old house, but it died on me. The hot tubs seem to be about 2 feet high, and that step is about 1 foot. So, if I make the second deck 1 foot below the current deck, would that make sense?

Please look at the picture again. I have a window under the deck that is almost flush with the fill.
Doing what you suggest would mean that I could have a risk of a flood coming into my basement.

Yeah, you would have to make sure you have drainage below the window and build a window well.

Yeah, you would have to make sure you have drainage below the window and build a window well.

I would rather not mess with the current deck and the grading unless necessary. It would also mean doing work for the neighbour's yard. It is a semi detached house

Latest posts

Back