Goodman cased evaporator installation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExpertTeknishun

Reaction score
Need a little (basic) information regarding the installation of a Goodman cased evaporator. I'm pretty familiar with furnace installations, but because I only (briefly) worked in residential HVAC in a cool climate, I never really got any A/C installation experience.

My question is this: In an upflow situation, how do you guys attach cased evaporators to the furnace below, and to the plenum above? The evap drain pan is uncomfortably close to where I would expect to screw casing to furnace. In certain manuals, I've seen that the evaporator "doesn't need to be anchored with screws". I've also seen a couple videos where guys just lay a bead of silicone around the connection between furnace and evap.

Similar question when attaching the plenum to the top of the evaporator casing. The Goodman evap comes with some odd sliding lip at the top of the casing, but each sliding side is only held in place by one screw, so there is some play in each piece...not exactly an easy thing to screw into when trying to set screws from the outside of the plenum.

Anyone familiar with Goodman installations? Any tips, preferences?

Thanks...

I drove past their factory yesterday in Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. Damn warehouse was two blocks long! Sorry, that is about all I could help you with.

Thanks for the goodwill, Havasu, but I knew full well that the target audience of my question is pretty small. Fortunately, I had a little better luck in another DIY forum. Got a couple of good pointers over there.

Latest posts

Back