Solid Surface Countertop Question . . .

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsme

Reaction score
I just completed my first SS project for our new kitchen countertop using the LG HIMACS product. I've been dragging my feet regarding how to polish it. There's matte, satin, gloss, and high gloss depending on how fine I go up in grit.

My questions is where's the best p[lace to buy the materials to do it. I only have 36 ft² to finish, but having never polished a solid surface material before I don't know how many pads of each grit I'll need. I've been ordering all my materials thus far from solidsurface.com The kits I'm looking at are linked but it seems overkill on the quantity and they don't have smaller quantities.

http://solidsurface.com/tools-supplies/abrasives/6-inch-kits

It's nearly $200 including the gloss kit! Any better ideas?

Other than EBAY or AMAZON or a local tradesmen willing to part with what you anticipate your use will be.

If you are obsessive now, about water spots, you might want to rethink high gloss.

Other than EBAY or AMAZON or a local tradesmen willing to part with what you anticipate your use will be.

If you are obsessive now, about water spots, you might want to rethink high gloss.

This is our first solid surface experience, so I don't understand why you'd say we're "obsessive about waters spots". I have no idea what to expect. If high gloss tends to show dried water spots more that's something I want to consider.

I didn't say "you were", just that in some cases, it's a human condition.

As an instinct, some folks will wipe and wipe and wipe until they are happy or just satisfied that it cannot get any better. It's called an obsession.

High gloss finishes, like that of a vehicle will show anything that affects that gloss immediately.

Some are satisfied with a quick wipe, and a confident in their ability.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back