Water Heaters, The Good and The Bad

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1victorianfarmhouse

Established Member
Reaction score
Hopefully everybody has had a nice Thanksgiving....

A few years ago I asked which brands of sump pumps were the best to buy. I got some very good rersponses and a clear idea whicn brand was recommended by the experts (Zoeller).

Now, as I wait for a new well pump to arrive (thanks, Speedbump!), I look at my 40 gallon Rheem water heater that has an installation date of 7/2003 on it and figure it doesn't have many more good years left.

So I am wondering which might be the best brands to look for, and which to avoid?

Thanks,

Vince

gas (LP or natural), oil or electric?
capacity?
energy efficiency concerns?
space limitations?
On-demand types?

for capacity needs
# of people in the household?
age brackets and gender?

Last edited:
I can't help you on a water heater selection, but I did post a song that your thread reminded me of...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFa1-kciCb4[/ame]

Missed a few comments viewing on my phone...added after the dashes below

Yeah, that song did run through my mind .....

But to answer the good questions kok328 asked...

Gas. Currently 40 gallons is good enough. No idea of any energy efficiency concerns, but would like it to be as energy-efficient as possible, of course, if that can be determined.

----# of people in the house, currently one, age 50+. Doubtful that children will be arriving anytime soon, but maybe a female partner of similar age.

----house currently has one kitchen, dishwasher present but not hooked up or used. One washer in basement, also sink in basement. Two full bathrooms with shower and tub currently operational. Third full bathroom present but awaiting new water supply lines to be run. Fourth full bathroom planned in attic in future.

Thanks!

Last edited:
For a heating system I have a furnace in the basement for the basement and main level, and another furnace in the attic for the upper floor. Both gas furnaces.

Thanks, KOK! I will look into a tankless heater while I have the time so I know what to do when my existing heater gives up the ghost.

The practical use of a tankless system in a multi-occpancy, is timed recirculation, which can closely replicate an on demand use.

However, some tankless require special venting material.

In your case using the facility nearest the source is optimal.

Hmm, interesting. The gas line issue wouldn't be a major problem, as I'm looking at how to reroute a bundle of gas lines in the future that prevent a doorway from being used.

All good things to think about as I attempt to plan ahead.

Back