Anybody know about backhoes?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffalo

Reaction score
I've been looking at them online for 6 months now , just looking at prices and such. I need to do some digging and landscape at my house. I also have a very large driveway to clear snow from .20k would be my top end on spending . It's just home personal use , but a plumber friends says he can put me to work with one if I choose also .

I want 4x4 , somthing that is not going to break down every week . Clam buckets and thumbs seem convient , but not nessacaraly. . I'm not a tractor mechance so I'm not sure how to evaluate one when I inspect . I have an Der john deere 3020 and I know parts add up quick .
http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...pment/for-sale/12316515/2001-new-holland-555e
This seems like a cheap price and an hour away . I probably won't make a move till after winter , just figured id see if anyone has any advise on this .

New Holland are going to be pricey on parts. But that is usually why they cost less to buy.

If it were me and I own a couple I would stick to John Deere or Cat if at all possible. John Deere parts are much less expensive than CAT, with CAT you are paying for a name. 4x4 is a must if you are doing dirt work or snow removal. Extendahoe is nice for the extra digging depth takes it from being able to dig 11-12 feet to 17 foot or so. I love pilot controls over wobble sticks as they are much more comfortable but you will pay for them. A 4in1 bucket is nice for grabbing but for general dirt scooping and floating of the bucket I like the traditional better. John Deere 310 is a perfect size and what is usually the rental size or smaller construction size.

If you get older than 2007 or so you will be able to work on it without a computer and a fat checkbook. On my 2012 you just hook up a computer and it tells you what is wrong with it but I can't do that myself, I have to pay John Deere to come out and do it for 500 bucks.

Ask Away and I will help with what I can.

For 20k there are a lot of options but you are looking at a machine from the 90's which is not a big deal just check the hours, I wouldn't buy anything over 4-5,000 hours unless they can prove it was taken care of. Like Neal said to you can check the auctions but you have to be careful as people also send their junk there.

For 20k there are a lot of options but you are looking at a machine from the 90's which is not a big deal just check the hours, I wouldn't buy anything over 4-5,000 hours unless they can prove it was taken care of. Like Neal said to you can check the auctions but you have to be careful as people also send their junk there.

I was thinking of just checking prices but for an auction fro where he is I would be looking across the border, big dollar difference.
https://www.rbauction.com/heavy-equipment-auctions/?gclid=CPbMztrIzNACFQZufgod-5wOeA&gclsrc=aw.ds

. I have found hollands have no balls, i do not like them and would not buy one
get a cat 416 series 2 4x4 with extend-a-hoe

mo

I know Buffalo gets a lot of snow, but you might be better off with a tractor for snow removal and renting a machine when it's time to do some landscaping.

Backhoes do quiet well at plowing. I grew up in a town where every contractor did snow removal in the winter with their backhoes. My skid steer goes to the mountains every year to remove snow for a buddies company.

Thx all !! I have a lot truck , f250 5.4l 2003 ford with a nice plow for now , if I get a nice tractor I will sell it . We get slammed with snow here , I'm used to it . It's not really a snow purchase , but I will use it for that if I purchase . If I buy , I want a lifetime purchase is all . I'm not hung up on name brands , just want something to last . I will keep you all updated , and TY chris!

No problem, Case is not bad either but the wobble sticks get annoying. If you can find anything with pilot controls you will be happy with operating the backhoe part, it is comfortable for all day work. The rest of the machines all work the same. Stay away from Volvo backhoes too, they are gutless and expensive to repair. You likely won't need much of anything for repairs using it for yourself but it would still be nice to be able to afford it if it happens. I still say try for a Deere if you can or an older Cat. At least parts will be readily available. You won't need anything bigger than a Deere 310 or a Cat 420. If I can run my company with those you won't need any more size for anything you are doing and those are probably the most available. If you were looking in California a couple years ago you would have got an almost new machine for that price since we are not allowed to use anything older than a 2012 any more. Would have been worth the transport fee's.

In California that would be a high price but I think it is fair. Here we have no rust. It is an older machine but the hours are low for its age.

HMM , seemed like a lower end price around here . But I have months to keep looking and see. Everything here is covered in rust . We salt everything during winter . My trucks days are numbered just for the rust lol . It's odd but my oils have leaked for years , tranny and oil pan gasket . My truck on the under side looks great , lol .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back